Ask Tracy!...some more stuff

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Moderators: Dub, LBD_Nytetrayn, Ian Flynn, Kureejii Lea, Tracy Yardley!

Postby Caesar Clown » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:06 am

Kureejii Lea wrote:Pretty much. I was just offering some extra info. o_O

i apologize for that, it was rather rude of me. i merely meant would it hurt to ask tracey, and for further insight he could look into mentioned thread. sorry 'bout that. :(
Caesar Clown
BumbleClan

Postby JakeDaReaver » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:15 am

[quote="Toug"]That thread has all the basic info you should need for writers or artists. There's no [i]harm[/i] in asking Tracy really, but I think she's just trying to direct the question asker to somewhere the information is already available.[/quote]

That's pretty much what I was aiming for. I knew about that section, but I wanted Tracey's advice for artists, since Ian's advice pretty much applies for writers.
JakeDaReaver
BumbleNewbie

Postby Sonicmark » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:12 am

Tracy himself wrote a sort of Q&A about working with archie on one of his journals on deviantart, does include some info on how to start out as a comic artist (So presumably it'll be of some kind of help too)
Has quite alot of handy tips in there.
http://yardley.deviantart.com/journal/22057612/

So that's probably worth checking out too :)
Sonicmark
BumbleCitizen

Postby Matthew Woodley » Sun May 03, 2009 11:33 pm

Do you have any sketches of Eggman mechs that you made yourself? What I mean is, since Ian's usually the one who comes up with his mechs, I just want to know if you have any sketches of one you've come up with yourself for maybe future use.

Also, do you have any sketches of SEGA sonic characters that haven't appeared in the book yet? (I.E. A sketch for Mephiles in case he shows up in the book). Or do you just draw them when they come up in the book?
Matthew Woodley
BumbleFan

Postby MegaHayzer » Tue May 05, 2009 6:48 pm

Hey, Tracy (sorry I misspelled your name on my Fan Art thread), I just wanted to ask how you draw your characters. Do you go completely raw, and just draw them, or do you use some sort of base, like circles/ovals/lines.
"Pride is not the opposite to shame but its source. True humility is the only antidote to shame." –Iroh of the Fire Nation
MegaHayzer
BumbleClan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Thu May 28, 2009 9:54 am

if your still taking questions i have one. would you consider doing another sonic story some time? also sorry if this has already been asked.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Sonicmark » Fri May 29, 2009 10:52 am

I too am curious as to whether you are sticking as the visionary of Sonic universe or whether you may make a return to the main book someday.
Sonicmark
BumbleCitizen

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:48 pm

well actually i ment was he planing on writing another story like he did for sonic x.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Tracy Yardley! » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:29 pm

Which version of Omega did you base your drawing of him on?

Mostly from Sonic Heroes, but the hands are from Sonic 06.

Rather, how does one apply for a job as a freelance writer/artist for Archie

Sorry, but I've answered that at least twice in my old thread and on my Deviantart page.

Do you have any sketches of Eggman mechs that you made yourself? Also, do you have any sketches of SEGA sonic characters that haven't appeared in the book yet?

I have one or two eggman mech sketches somewhere I think, but I usually work based off of Ian's concept sketches since he goes to the trouble of thinking it out.

As for other game characters, I usually wait until they show up in the script. I don't have a lot of time for doodling. Which is fine, because that means I'm drawing comics.

Do you go completely raw, and just draw them, or do you use some sort of base, like circles/ovals/lines.

Yeah, I use a really light shapes and lines to build the character and then go back and do the finished pencils.

would you consider doing another sonic story some time?

I'd love to do more Sonic scripts. I have a story brewing in my head right now, but ONCE AGAIN, I just don't really have enough time to really sit down and flesh it out. I might have to make time though.

r whether you may make a return to the main book someday.

Maybe. For right now, I'm slated to do issues 9-12 of Sonic Universe, but you never know when I might do an issue or two of the regular book.
Tracy Yardley!

Postby Aurora_Redwinters » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:25 pm

Bummer. I wait a month and a half and my poor, lonely question doesn't get answered. *emo tear* Curses!
"Its impossible." said Pride.
"Its risky." said Experience.
"Its pointless." said Reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the Heart.

30-Second Demo Reel
Aurora_Redwinters
BumbleNoble

Postby Tracy Yardley! » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:59 pm

Sorry Aurora. I missed it when I went back thru the questions. There have been many scenes that I had to think pretty hard about, and there have definitely been some tough scenes to draw. Probably one of the hardest issues was Sonic X number 6 with all the chao fighting and such. It was a lot to put on a page and I hadn't fully grasped all the characters yet. Other than that, nothing specific comes to mind. ORO!
Tracy Yardley!

Postby Aurora_Redwinters » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Tracy Yardley! wrote:Sorry Aurora. I missed it when I went back thru the questions. There have been many scenes that I had to think pretty hard about, and there have definitely been some tough scenes to draw. Probably one of the hardest issues was Sonic X number 6 with all the chao fighting and such. It was a lot to put on a page and I hadn't fully grasped all the characters yet. Other than that, nothing specific comes to mind. ORO!

Hey, thanks for getting back! ORO indeed, haha.
"Its impossible." said Pride.
"Its risky." said Experience.
"Its pointless." said Reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the Heart.

30-Second Demo Reel
Aurora_Redwinters
BumbleNoble

Postby TheSlyder » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:52 pm

Will you be doing pencils for the main book forever? Spattering the book with mediocrity previously was okay because it was normal, occasionally we'd be rewarded for our patience with an issue or side-story penciled by Spaz. Now, though, you've become the norm. We've been spoiled.

I don't think I can stand to see the series take a drop in quality with your absence if you were to stop doing the main series for other projects or Sonic Universe.

As long as Ian writes it, you pencil it, and Herms colors it, I will forever be proud and happy to follow the series. (My apologies to any of the inkers who might read this. You do your job well, which is why it's so rare to be acknowledged.)
I've got a DeviantArt now.
TheSlyder
BumbleFan

Postby Lewanut » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:09 pm

Stephen Butler's going to be doing the main book, starting with #202. But you'll still be able to see Yardley!'s awesome pencils in Sonic Universe.

Veggie Burgers,
Lewanut
Lewanut
BumbleClan

Postby TheSlyder » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:35 pm

Lewanut wrote:Stephen Butler's going to be doing the main book, starting with #202. But you'll still be able to see Yardley!'s awesome pencils in Sonic Universe.

Veggie Burgers,
Lewanut

How unfortunate. His artwork is exactly what I picture when I think about bad Sonic pencils. That, and a few short lived miscellaneous artists.

No offense to him, of course. It's just my opinion.
I've got a DeviantArt now.
TheSlyder
BumbleFan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius