Ask Ian for MAR'09 - I Stop Talking to Myself

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Moderators: Dub, LBD_Nytetrayn, Ian Flynn, Kureejii Lea, Tracy Yardley!

Postby kryptyk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:42 pm

1) In last month's character Q&A we've seen some responses that suggested certain story ideas that might be considered based off of questions that may have been "inspirtional" even if that was not specifically asked in the first place(ex. Jule's happiest memory, Nicole's nanite cannon, Antione's children, etc.).... should we assume none of these types of responses will ever manifest themselves in any way in future issues due to similarities to fan-submission?

2) Given how cold, ruthless, and taciturn Shadow can be, does that indicate he considers "having a heart" (the ethics/morals) as a weakness?

3) Is the 4-issue story arc a permanent feature for SU?
kryptyk
BumbleNoble

Postby Lewanut » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:54 pm

1. The data-file in StH #178 showed the Lab and the hang-out area of Freedom H.Q. on different floors. Why did it look like they were on the same floor in StH #175?

2. What was the chamber shown in the Locke vs. Shadow fight in "Shadows of Hope"? It's obviously very different than the chaos chamber (Haven II) shown in StH #151 and onward.

3. I'm a bit confused about a seeming discrepancy between StH #180 and #181. First the flame and frost legions are ready to attack Finitevus, then their leaders are holding a meeting with him on friendly terms. What did I miss?

Thanks Ian for answering our obsessive questions!

Veggie Burgers,
Lewanut
Lewanut
BumbleClan

Postby SLJCOAAATR » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:40 pm

1) Wait, I hear Whisker's in SU#1......Didn't he die in SRA?......Or did you interpret SRA differently for the comics?

2) With Universe, after the Knuckles arc, could you give us a hint at whats next? As in, who we can expect it to be about, and or what the focus will be?

3) Can we expect Omega, Shadow, Rouge, Silver, Johnny, Blaze, or Nega again within the next few months?
The End is Sunday, May 23rd
SLJCOAAATR
BumbleNoble

Postby Illustrious Q » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:50 pm

3) Been going through past issues and I noticed that Bean and Bark in some of the older issues. Like way back in SSS #6 during Robotnik's dream/flashback they were plainly visible. So I was just wondering, how old are Bean and Bark?
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby Orion101 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:51 pm

1. When did you first decide to have Hope work for G.U.N. as far back as "Ties that Bind" or sometime later?

2. What was your reasoning behind puting Hope in the roles you've chosen for her both as apart of G.U.N. and as a member of Shadow's supporting cast?

3. In your opinion how does Team dark and their role in the story compare and contrast to other teams like the Freedom Fighter and the Chaotix?
Everyone wants to get into Heaven but nobody wants to do what it take to get there.
Orion101
BumbleFan

Postby Excelhedge » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:07 am

Was Amy's Riders outfit ever considered for Rosey?

I know your distantzing yourself from them now, but were there any Sonic Web-comics you really liked?
http://excelhedge.deviantart.com http://excelhedge.sheezyart.com/ http://www.furaffinity.net/user/excelhedge/
Gamertag: SnafuGundam Smash fc 4124-4696-6823 Nickname: Gundm Kart fc 3566-1952-6030 Nickname: Gundam
Excelhedge
BumbleKnight

Postby Spin » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:32 pm

3. Will the child Manic still have his speed in M30YL arc? That was one factor that I always hated about his character aside from his obnoxious personality.
Spin
BumbleClan

Questions

Postby Spectre the Hechidnat » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:35 pm

1. Given that the Mobius: 25 Years Later story of Knuckles and Julie-Su living together, unmarried, and having a kid as a result of that relationship is rather immoral for a kids comic, have you ever considered them getting married along a different future or them getting married after Shadow's defeat, ala the latest Indiana Jones movie?

2. Are Athair and Aurora doing anything to help Merlin or just Mobius in general out since their promotion, or are they maintaining their whole noninvolvement policy?

3. Is Moritori Rex most likely on the run from the Brotherhood in the Twilight Zone, or would an alliance of necessity be more plausible?
When it comes to Knuckles, I'll take "Hot Pocket of Destiny" and all that comes with it over "Sonic's OTHER sidekick" any day.
Ian Flynn: developing characters more in two issues than some writers have done in twenty.
Spectre the Hechidnat
BumbleNoble

Postby Super Rayzor » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:40 pm

1. Are the people that only worshiped Aurora accepting her role in the Neo Walkers and vice versa is the ones that only worshiped the Ancient Ones accepting Aurora, or even Merlin and Athair, as the Neo Walkers?

2. Do you realize the hilariousness you put yourself into when you mentioned that Shadow's favorite food was vanilla ice cream and when you introduce STH Cream, whose favorite food is vanilla ice cream as well?
My God's not dead, He's surely alive!!!! Jesus is the Reason for every season!!
The O.C. Supertones and Five Iron Frenzy Rock!!!
Super Rayzor
BumbleNoble

Postby Aurora_Redwinters » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:41 pm

1. You said to expect the Downunda FF's to show up soon. Can you say whether that will be in the regular Sonic comic or will it be in Sonic Universe?

2. Were the grave sites of the fallen friends of Sonic and co. (i.e. Tommy, Sean, etc.) spared during Robotnik's leveling of Knothole or did they get scorched too?

3. Do you usually find yourself doing more/better writing during the day or during the night?
"Its impossible." said Pride.
"Its risky." said Experience.
"Its pointless." said Reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the Heart.

30-Second Demo Reel
Aurora_Redwinters
BumbleNoble

Postby Sir Bert Leaman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:31 am

Durring 197 and SU 1, we see the Cosmic Interstate but it is presented visually different in both. Is this difference relevant to the story or was that due to different artists imagining it in their own way?

Was there any truth to Bean's story of how he met Bark other than the part where he met Bark?
ImageImage
Looks like I'm back on BKC... Be a peach and visit my DA won't you? Or my new tumblr thingy!
Sir Bert Leaman
BumbleNoble

Postby dragoonanime » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:52 am

ian: since you are doing off the panel again will your editor mike p be in them again?

manik: what is going thru your mind now that you have to grow up again?

ian: will manic and sonia from underground ever make another appearence?
dragoonanime
BumbleFan

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:05 am

A couple of things before we dive into this week:

1) I'd really prefer this be about Sonic. It's flattering some of you want my personal opinion on things, but I don't feel like this is the place for it. Let's try to keep Sonic-centric.

2) The character Q&A is done.

Question #1 wrote:You said we will see novelty answers on occasion. Will we get to ask Sonic, Tails, and Bean questions again this year?

I'm sure it'll come back sometime this year.

Question #2 wrote:I was looking through my Fantastic Four issues and I saw my The End issue. It is a special by Marvel Comics featuring a possible ending to the story of the comics as the comics have no forseeable cancelation. Would Archie and/or Sega let you do something like that? I don't mean a mobius 25 years later type thing.

I don't think SEGA would object to us doing a "what if" scenario like that. Personally, I'd rather not. You use up a finale scenario like that. And unlike the MxYL scenario, there's nothing to do with it once it's done. MxYL we can come back to time and again and play around with the possible future. A "The End" story wraps up . . . and that's it. It's not the real end, and you can't do anything with it later because it's over.

Question #3 wrote:What has it felt like rereading the entire Sonic Series for the encyclopedia?

Surprising, mostly. A lot of confusion of the past is much clearer seeing the arcs and their fallout in their entirety. And a lot of big moments are strikingly small in retrospect. The Hunt for Naugus, for instance, barely featured the wizard at all and he did very little to actually threaten our heroes. The entire Mina/Sonic/Sally triangle was strikingly one-sided and I have to wonder what the hub-bub was about.

But mostly it's been fun going through it again and seeing where things fit together, intentionally or not, and seeing where I can add something in to make it all flow smoothly.

Question #4 wrote: Is there any chance that the Sonic X universe will appear in Sonic Universe?

Unfortunately the chances of that are seeming incredibly slim right now. Hopefully that will change down the line. We'll see.

Question #5 wrote:While re-reading the archives have you had any "aha!" moments that have inspired possible future plot points? Additionally, anything you've found very interesting that you hadn't noticed/thought about before?

Oh, very much so. I can't really get into details about it, but there's a number of new ideas that came from re-reading the series.

Question #6 wrote:Do you think there could be Prime Zone versions of Blaze and Marine somewhere?

No. I think Blaze's world is unique - so much of a variant of the Prime Zone it's barely recognizable.

Question #7 wrote:Zonic called Scourge a mutant, is that because even though he’s from Evil Mobius he was changed and filled with chaos energy from the Prime Zone making a creature of both worlds or something?

That's pretty much it, yeah. Just cut the "filled with chaos energy" bit and you've pretty much nailed it.

Question #8 wrote:Do you plan on clearing up the mystery of Cream's father when she appears?

Absolutely not. You never know when SEGA will inject more info into these characters.

Question #9 wrote:Why didn't you use Omega sooner? Apparently, he was supposed to introduced to the comics after #134, but that was cancelled like a lot of other ideas.

I also planned on using him in #175, but as before, SEGA asked we not use him. We finally convinced them to let us use him. Can't have Team Dark without the big guy.

Question #10 wrote:What do you think are the pros and cons of now having two Sonic titles (Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic Universe)?

The only con I can think of is that folks with a tight budget will have to choose one. But there's now forty-four pages to tell Sonic stories, and we get to explore stories and characters we wouldn't necessarily be able to in just Sonic.

Question #11 wrote:Will we see Sonic interacting more with human cities, aside from GUN related shenanigans?

Not this year, no.

Question #12 wrote:Will we see any locales from older video games (Green Hill Zone etc) and the little animal buddies associated with them (Flicky, Picky, Pecky etc)?

A little bit. The animal buddies are something I hope to address in the up-coming encyclopedia.

Question #13 wrote:If the X universe ever can be revisited, might some of the loose subplots ever be resolved? (El Gran Gordo, Eggman/Ella, et cetera)

IF, you betcha. I'm itching to tell those stories.

Question #14 wrote:Is the ban on Eggman Nega, to your knowledge, a permanent one? Or, like previous barred characters, might the Nega embargo be subject to change?

I'm fairly certain it's only a matter of time before we can address him. The only scenario I can think of where they'd perma-ban him would be if he really did die in Sonic Rivals 2 and they don't want us to "revive" him by showing him in the book.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Question #15 wrote:If Scourge ever used the Master Emerald to go Super, would he turn back into regular Evil Sonic once the transformation wore off?

No, he's been permanently altered in that sense.

Question #16 wrote:I remember way back during the Adventure adaption, Archie bragged about the Sonic Adventure arc being the longest in the comic's history, at seven Sonic issues and one super special.With your last arc was at eight issues, and as far as I've been able to tell it's the only other arc to last that long. Do you plan to ever break that record?

Well, if my current plans actually go through 100%, then yes, there will be a story arc that beats that into the dirt.

Question #17 wrote:What does GUN want with a Chaos Emerald?

What indeed?

Question #18 wrote:If Nintendo bought the rights to Sonic, do you think that Archie would still be able to do the Sonic comics?

Probably not, given that Nintendo doesn't seem keen on doing that sort of thing with their properties.

Question #19 wrote:If Nintendo didn't buy the rights, do you think that Archie would buy the rights to Sonic?

I'm sure the bidding war over Sonic would drive it beyond what Archie could bid. That isn't to say Archie is poor - I mean that I'm sure Microsoft and Sony would be fighting tooth and nail for the property.

Question #20 wrote:Since Team Sonic would basically be the Freedom Fighters and Team Chaotix would be well... The Chaotix, I was wondering if Team Dark consisted of Shadow, Rouge, Omega, And Hope since she fits the pattern of people joining GUN to achieve their own goals?

Sure, she could be considered part of the greater team.

Question #21 wrote:Mr. Flynn what, in your opinion, should a action/adventure series consist of to makes a good?

You're going to need a cast of characters that are engaging and relatable. If the reader doesn't care about them then all the action and adventure in the world won't be worth a flip.

The action needs to be fresh and varied. Fisticuffs get tiresome fast. You need to keep things inventive. The same goes for the adventure. The same location or destination, the same quest or purpose, will get stale if you don't change it from time to time.

Question #22 wrote:would locke have died had Remington become Enerjak?

No, Locke's death wasn't on the table in the first draft. Honestly, I don't remember what the original plans for him were.

Question #23 wrote:do we have a chance of seeing blaze or Silver again soon?

Blaze has made her appearance for the year. Silver will be popping up this year.

Question #24 wrote:Was the Mobius 25 years later in 166-167 cannon?

Yep. The arc done by Ken Penders led to King Sonic entering the time-stream to fix the many problems. When King Sonic returned, he had effectively written himself out of the future, leading to the events seen in STH#166-167. Any other stories set in that time would be based off the events in #166-167.

Now - if you mean "is it the one, true future of Mobius," then NO. It's a fun "what if" universe to play around in. And I don't want any this "well then it doesn't matter" nonsense. It's recreational fantasy. If you're enjoying it then it's perfectly valid.

Question #25 wrote:What was the reason for you to have Fiona change? I mean all bad and stuff.

Part of it was personal. I'd already written Fiona as Sonic's love interest in an unrelated project and I wanted to do something different. The other part was it made her more interesting. As the general-purpose Freedom Fighter she wasn't all that engaging. As a traitor she became much more fun to write and read.

Question #26 wrote:Will Blazes World be explored more thuroughly later in the series?

Maybe, and that's a really tentative "maybe." I don't want to set up too much only to have to retcon it when SEGA introduces something new.

Question #27 wrote:Does Hope make weapons for G.U.N. as well or is the Dimensional transporter here only invention so far?

No, she's mostly an inventor and mechanic. She'll be providing mechanical support for Omega eventually.

Question #28 wrote:If given the chance by SEGA and Archie, would you have material enough to write a novel set in the Archie Sonic universe?

Enough material? I could put Tolkien to shame.

Question #29 wrote:Has the February 2009 "Ask the Characters" Q&A affected how you will approach writing the comic in the future?

It made me look at some characters a lot harder than I had previously and definitely gave me a lot of food for thought.

Question #30 wrote:When you played "Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood", was the character (Amy or Rouge) Sonic ended up with in the your play-through a reflection of how you felt was logical from your viewpoint as a writer of the comic, or were you merely experimenting around with the game, or did you go for all possibilities, perhaps to document the game?

I wasn't aware there was a subplot that had Sonic hook up with either of them. Maybe should I play through it again.

I played through Chronicles as fast as I could, hitting every sub-quest that threw itself in my path and taking notes. I know I missed the Big/Froggy/Norbert sub-quest, and apparently an Amy/Rouge/Sonic one, but I'm pretty sure I got the rest. Except that one blankity-blank ring in the first city. Never could figure out how to get it.

Question #31 wrote:Is there any character in-comic that you wish that you could use more, but can't find any good reason why they should be included more often?

Tons, but most of all is Big the Cat. I love the big guy, but he really just doesn't fit anywhere right now.

Question #32 wrote:With the release of Sonic Universe, are there any particular side-characters that you hope will become more popular?

Not really, no. I'm playing to the strong ones for now - namely Shadow and Knuckles.

Question #33 wrote:Have you read either one of what are generally considered to be the comics that changed the medium forever: "The Dark Knight Returns" or "Watchmen"?

I have read "Watchman," but I haven't gotten around to DKR.

Question #34 wrote:How will you be covering Robotnik and Robo-Robotnik in the Sonic Encyclopedia?

As simply and straight forward as possible. I will also be building off the former Data File and cementing the "identical past to a point" concept.

Question #35 wrote:Regarding the "Rush Adventure is canon" arguement, would you be able to at any point re-visit certain areas of the games ala Soleanna, Westopolis etc if the right story came about? Not referencing the games, but using some of their aspects in the comic.

Sure. Name-dropping like that shouldn't be an issue.

Question #36 wrote:Carrying on from the above question, you introduced Silver into the storyline without referencing Sonic 06 but still using his basic backstory. In a similar way, could Darkspine theoretically be introduced into the comic without having to reference Secret Rings storyline?

Theoretically, yes. However, Darkspine resulted from the Seven World Rings, which are exclusive to the 1,001 Arbian Nights Zone. So unless we haul those things in (which we won't), we can't have a Darkspine Sonic.

Question #37 wrote:If you thought it would work, would you ever write a story arc that would takeup the entire 12 issue year?

Sure. I pretty much have something like more-or-less in mind right now. The thing is it wouldn't be a perfect "Part One, Part Two....Part Twelve" story like Enerjak: Reborn was. A massive arc like that would probably be more like Bold New Moebius - smaller stories that all fall under the same idea.

Question #38 wrote:Is the Anti-Robotnik (Kintobor) that was shown during your Moebius saga the same as the anti-robotnik that first appeared in issue #11?

Yup. He's slimmed down considerably.

Question #39 wrote: In Issue #197 there's a female character on the council who looks a lot like Sally. Who is she suppose to be?

That was a miscolored Rosemary Prower.

Question #40 wrote:Are we going to see more of Tail's family in the Mobius 30 years later arc?

Oooooooooooh yes.

Question #41 wrote:Is Cocoa (Hershey's mom from #76) still alive?

No, I'm counting her as a casualty of the Great War.

Question #42 wrote:Now that the cover of SU Mobius 30 years later has been relesed are we going to see a few hints of TailsxMina?

No. The pairing really doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm sticking with it since that's what came before. Mina is with Ash now, and that's how it's going to be for the foreseeable future.

Question #43 wrote:When do you plan on Fiona making a appearance?

Not for a while.

Question #44 wrote:When Metal Sonic is rebuilt is he in a manner of speaking the same Metal Sonic as the last one or a completly diffrent one?

It depends on how you want to define it. In terms of hardware and programming, yeah, they're the same. In terms of "personality," or any personal experiences the latest unit had, no - they're completely different. So the next Metal Sonic won't be the same "character" as the one seen in SU#1, but will essentially be the same construction.

Question #45 wrote:If you had been the one to start up the Mobius 25 (or 30) Years Later plotline / timeline, what would you have changed?

I would've tackled it in an entirely different way - the point where it ceases to be a comparison. The story coming up will be basically how I would've approached it initially: a what-if future of Mobius that is fairly free of the present day.

Question #46 wrote:Will we see any of the characters from the first SU arc in the M30YL arc?

Technically.

Question #47 wrote:Does Zonic have supersonic speed? Er, Sonic Speed?

If he does, he's never shown it. I haven't considered that, actually.

Question #48 wrote:Why are certain zones left open to travel to Mobius Prime during the lockdown? Come to think of it, since Zone Cops are supposed to keep people in their own zone, how is the lockdown any different than what they did before?

The real reason? So we can still tell stories using Blaze's world, Moebius, and the Special Zone.
The canonical reason? Interdimensional stability.

Before Dr. Nega's rampage, the Cosmic Interstate was open to travel on a restricted basis, but it was free-flowing. The Zone Cops were in place to ensure bad things didn't happen within the natural order of things - like park rangers, I suppose. Now they've locked things down almost completely. To continue the analogy, it'd be as if the park rangers fenced off a forest and prevented all intermingling until things had returned to normal.

Question #49 wrote:Do you know if the Knuckles series will get the Archives treatment?

We're planning on them being in Sonic Selects eventually.

Question #50 wrote:Will sonic universe ever have any backstories or will it just be the whole issue as one story?

I dunno! We might do back-stories sometimes, or we may stick with full issues. Nothing is set in stone.

Question #51 wrote:Will we see any new faces in the M:30YL story arc?

Many! Some newer than others.

Question #52 wrote:A little while ago, you said that one of the Destructix might get some development in this year, in which book and around when this year can we expect to see it?

Sonic the Hedgehog, and this year. That's all you're getting!

Question #53 wrote:So the Mobius ... years later arc is going to return. Will be revealed how Eggman died (if he really died)?

Any events happening between the present and the maybe-future will be teased at best.

That said, the original M25YL revealed that Knuckles vaporized Eggman and had to be stopped by Sonic. I figure the same events unfolded but with Shadow replacing Sonic.

Question #54 wrote:From the 1000 Sonics in #19 how many of their worlds would you say was left open when the Zone Cops locked down a majority of the mutiverse.

Technically they were all open, the Zone Cops just made sure traffic was light to non-existent. Now they're actively barred. I'd say all of the 1000 Sonics are locked out.

Question #55 wrote:Can Underground Sonic be considered a "real" Sonic counterpart with having a different mother and no identity on his father?

Sure, why not? Sonic Underground all occurs in a separate zone. Alternate zone, alternate parents. Bada-bing.

Question #56 wrote:Is Sonic Universe supposed to be centered around game-only characters?

Nope. As it's been revealed/spoiled, we'll be seeing a lot of Archie-only characters in the second arc.

Question #57 wrote:Are Antoine and Bunnie ever going to appear in it?

Guys, I dunno. We're just now wrapping up the first year. I haven't even pitched 2010's stories yet. I don't know what's precisely in store for the book. And being a new title with such a broad direction, we can do a lot of stuff with it. We'll all just have to wait and see what comes from it.

Question #58 wrote:I'm wondering, however, if there's a reason [Jules] hasn't gone the same route as Bunnie, and simply had some alterations done to his appearance.

Keep in mind that the changes to Bunnie's cybernetics were mandatory; she would have died otherwise, or lost her limbs completely at the very least. Jules is in no such predicament, and any changes would be purely cosmetic. I don't see Jules ever thinking of changing how he looks - this is how he is, and that's as far as he goes in thinking about it.

Now, if you mean from a creator's point of view, I don't think anyone's considered it. I, personally, am not immediately keen on the idea. His current design is a nice throw-back to the early days of the book, and it helps to make him more distinct from the sleeker, more Sonicy-looking Metal Sonic.

Question #59 wrote:The current zone in the comics is referred to as the "Prime Zone", but it's always going to be overruled by the games (in other words, Sega) themselves. How does the comic's multiverse work with this? Is there a Segasonic Zone that's actually more "Prime" than the Prime Zone, or is it just assumed that Segasonic's Zone simply tends to be more... influential than others?

Heh - I'm not sure how to answer this without it sounding like "It's our way so there - NYEH!"

In the realm of the comic, the book's Archieverse is the Prime Zone. From our position as observers we know that it is at the whims of the latest Sonic game and that it's really a big melting pot of Sonic material. But to the world of the comic - within the scope of its own rules - ArchieSonic is the core. Conceivably there's a SegaSonic Zone, but within the rules of the comic it becomes the derivative.

Question #60 wrote:It has been established that there are mulitple human cities but are there multiple human governments like Soleanna?

It's not been addressed officially, no. I'm definitely going to push to set it in stone when the encyclopedia comes out. Suffice to say: the United Federation is comprised of multiple city-states, each run by their own government. So, for example, Soleanna is run by Princess Elise and the Duke of Soleanna, but they ultimately defer to the President of the United Federation.

Question #61 wrote:What happened to Commander Brass? I thought he was the leader of G.U.N. but now it seems this "Abraham Tower" is in charge.

I'm still tossing around ideas for that. For now let's say ol' Hugo was head of operations in Station Square and that Abe is the chief commander.

Question #62 wrote:Are we ever going to see what Snively's choice was with regards to shooting down Hope and how she ended up working for G.U.N. ? (I know it one might say he just 'didn't shoot her down' but maybe it's more complex than that)

There are a few details to fill in, but that's pretty much the extent of it.

Question #63 wrote:Why is Lien-Da working so hard to defend Eggman's ruined city if he basically enslaved them by implanting bombs in their cybernetics?

First off, Lien-Da is obsessive over success. Regardless of who has command over her she'd want to prove she is a capable leader, and on a baser level, wants to win.

Secondly, I wouldn't describe Dr. Eggman as a patient man, would you? And if a field leader seems to be actively trying to lose the day, it would only make sense to "demote" them and put someone else in command. Lien-Da's fervent loyalty is only out of self-preservation. And who knows? Maybe by maintaining her authority now she'll be in a better position to seize power later. Almost like another toady we've seen in the past . . .

Question #64 wrote:What's the story behind Commander Tower having different colored eyes?

No idea. SEGA designed him that way, not us. I want to say there's a superstition within Japanese culture based on that, but I'm not sure. If anyone can verify/disprove me on that, I'd appreciate it.

Question #65 wrote:In last month's character Q&A we've seen some responses that suggested certain story ideas that might be considered based off of questions that may have been "inspirtional" even if that was not specifically asked in the first place(ex. Jule's happiest memory, Nicole's nanite cannon, Antione's children, etc.).... should we assume none of these types of responses will ever manifest themselves in any way in future issues due to similarities to fan-submission?

No, I think you can take them a possible windows into future plans, but I strongly emphasize possible. The Character Q&A made me think about a few things that I might use down the road. At the same time, we work so far ahead that if I did apply anything today it wouldn't surface until June at absolute earliest. That wouldn't happen anyway since we already have an agenda we're following, and I'm cramming it as full of story, characterization, backstory and action that I can.

Just take it as a creative jam session. It'll be cool if official stuff comes of it, but no big deal if not.

Question #66 wrote:Given how cold, ruthless, and taciturn Shadow can be, does that indicate he considers "having a heart" (the ethics/morals) as a weakness?

I don't think he'd give that phrase any serious consideration. It's not a weakness but a stupid idea to him - a frivolous sentimentality. Part of his character exploration will be seeing if or when he comes to realize it does apply to him.

Question #67 wrote:Is the 4-issue story arc a permanent feature for SU?

Maybe? Who knows? This is just the first year, and we've only got one issue out so far. There's a lot of experimentation to try.

Question #68 wrote:The data-file in StH #178 showed the Lab and the hang-out area of Freedom H.Q. on different floors. Why did it look like they were on the same floor in StH #175?

A small hiccup with the before-and-after. Initially it was on the ground floor, but after Snively's attack it was remodeled and rebuilt as seen in the Data File.

Question #69 wrote:What was the chamber shown in the Locke vs. Shadow fight in "Shadows of Hope"? It's obviously very different than the chaos chamber (Haven II) shown in StH #151 and onward.

It's never specified. It could be anything from the ruined Haven to the equally trashed Grand Conservatory.

Question #70 wrote:I'm a bit confused about a seeming discrepancy between StH #180 and #181. First the flame and frost legions are ready to attack Finitevus, then their leaders are holding a meeting with him on friendly terms. What did I miss?

I'm not sure. In STH#180 Fiona announces that the two Legions are preparing to attack Finitevus. In STH#181 they're actively fighting Enerjaknuckles. In #181's back-up story they're still on friendly terms, but that story's obviously in flashback. I'm afraid I don't see where the problem is.

Question #71 wrote:Wait, I hear Whisker's in SU#1......Didn't he die in SRA?......Or did you interpret SRA differently for the comics?

The giant mecha he was in exploded, but that means little in a Sonic game. Dr. Eggman has survived worse and he didn't have the benefit of being a robot. As for how Whiskers shows up in SU#1, you'll have to read for yourself.

Question #72 wrote:Can we expect Omega, Shadow, Rouge, Silver, Johnny, Blaze, or Nega again within the next few months?

Yes, Yes, Yes, No, No, No.

Question #73 wrote:Been going through past issues and I noticed that Bean and Bark in some of the older issues. Like way back in SSS #6 during Robotnik's dream/flashback they were plainly visible. So I was just wondering, how old are Bean and Bark?

This question comes up from time to time. Those were cameos back in the day. Ristar and Astal appear in the same scene and they aren't even mobian. So you can either write it off as what is, or you can comfort yourself by saying they're Bean and Bark's relatives.

Question #74 wrote: When did you first decide to have Hope work for G.U.N. as far back as "Ties that Bind" or sometime later?

From the very beginning. I had two scenarios: Snively was a heartless monster and he blew her to bits or she escaped and joined G.U.N. (details of which are pending). I hadn't settled on a scenario at the time since I didn't know when, or if, I'd get to investigate G.U.N. like I wanted to, nor was I sure precisely where I wanted to take Snively at the time. The ending was a cliffhanger and I had time to weigh my choices. When Sonic Universe opened up so did my chances to tell more Team Dark stories, so we went with the happier scenario.

Question #75 wrote:What was your reasoning behind puting Hope in the roles you've chosen for her both as apart of G.U.N. and as a member of Shadow's supporting cast?

Funny thing about Hope - initially she wasn't intended to be a supporting character. She was meant to be a plot device to sow discontent among the Overlanders in Robotropolis. It was reader demand that got her to stay in Knothole and actually have a role beyond "little girl." Except nothing much had come of it since then. So I wanted to give her a role - something to do - instead of just being and oddity among the mobians.

The fact that she looks like Maria and was already loosely connected to Shadow begged to be addressed. It'd be almost criminal to ignore it. But at the same time, "Shadow pines over little blonde girl" is just about as predictable as you can get. So I wanted to take the obvious and put a spin on it. Hope is not Maria. She's sweet, she's kind-hearted, but she's also a grease-monkey. Maria was frail and idealistic. Hope is hearty and haunted by her family ties; she works for a better world with an entirely different mindset.

So you'll have Shadow with a few expectations, and you'll have Hope who's putting on a brave face in a pretty heavy situation, and we'll see how they play off each other. I think we'll see many more interesting stories with her as the kind of moral core to Team Dark than we would've gotten if she stuck around with the already well-rounded Sonic supporting cast.

Question #76 wrote:In your opinion how does Team dark and their role in the story compare and contrast to other teams like the Freedom Fighter and the Chaotix?

That's something I want to explore over the years, but I think the biggest difference is their methodology and what's at stake for them. The Freedom Fighters wage back-and-forth battles of attrition for their right to live and to take down their age-old enemy. The Chaotix fight for Angel Island, for Knuckles, and - in a way - for sport. Team Dark isn't necessarily fighting for a homeland or a lofty goal. They're a surgical strike team.

The Freedom Fighters are the romantic notion of battle.
The Chaotix are the fun, flashy fighting.
Team Dark is the merciless, tactical black ops.

Question #77 wrote:Was Amy's Riders outfit ever considered for Rosey?

Now there's an idea. No, never came up. It's a fun design, but I think it's too "sporty" for Rosy. The childish outfit made her all the creepier.

Question #78 wrote:I know your distantzing yourself from them now, but were there any Sonic Web-comics you really liked?

There was one years back called "Sonic ARGH" or "Sonic AUGH" or something like that. There's one joke that cracks me up every time: two of the original characters were Mono (a greyscale-colored ninja) and his brother, Stereo. Their father was "Dorubi Surrondo Soundo - the most feared ninja is all of Utah. He took a battle-axe to the face and lived." That right there is comedy gold.

I thought "Power Rings" was a fun lampoon comic, and I laughed heartily when I was portrayed as this Machiavellian, evil god. Otherwise I haven't really followed any other comics of that nature.

Question #79 wrote:Will the child Manic still have his speed in M30YL arc? That was one factor that I always hated about his character aside from his obnoxious personality.

Remember, it's "Manik" in M30YL, "Manic" in Sonic Underground. And whether or not the royal twins have any powers is something you'll have to read to find out.

Question #80 wrote:Given that the Mobius: 25 Years Later story of Knuckles and Julie-Su living together, unmarried, and having a kid as a result of that relationship is rather immoral for a kids comic, have you ever considered them getting married along a different future or them getting married after Shadow's defeat, ala the latest Indiana Jones movie?

I'm not going to bring it up. Personally, I think it provides a more solid foundation for a family to go through the motions of the ceremony. That's just how I was brought up. But I also think it's perfectly within reason for two people to live together faithfully without a ceremony and a piece of paper making them "official." I think it fits the characters, and I think bringing it back into the limelight really isn't necessary.

Due to the rewriting of time thanks to King Sonic, the pro-marriage folks can pretend they did get married and it's just never mentioned. The canonical die-hards can assume they're still "civiliy unioned" since nothing contradicts it. And I'm washing my hands of the debate.

Question #81 wrote:Are Athair and Aurora doing anything to help Merlin or just Mobius in general out since their promotion, or are they maintaining their whole noninvolvement policy?

For Merlin, I think they're guiding him a little bit. For Mobius in general, I think they're following the precedent set by the Ancient Walkers.

[qutoe="Question #82"]Is Moritori Rex most likely on the run from the Brotherhood in the Twilight Zone, or would an alliance of necessity be more plausible?[/quote]

After what Finitevus did to them, it'd be a miracle if any of them were sitting upright, let alone running or fighting.

Question #83 wrote:Are the people that only worshiped Aurora accepting her role in the Neo Walkers and vice versa is the ones that only worshiped the Ancient Ones accepting Aurora, or even Merlin and Athair, as the Neo Walkers?

I think that - for the moment - the worshiping remains unchanged. Very, very few know about the changes in the Chaos Force. I think Aurora is more of an echidna-centric diety while the Ancient Walkers don't have as devoted a following but are more universally recognized.

Question #84 wrote:Were the grave sites of the fallen friends of Sonic and co. (i.e. Tommy, Sean, etc.) spared during Robotnik's leveling of Knothole or did they get scorched too?

They're gone too. Nothing was held sacred in that attack. Equivalent graves have been made since, though, so the dead are still honored.

Question #85 wrote:Durring 197 and SU 1, we see the Cosmic Interstate but it is presented visually different in both. Is this difference relevant to the story or was that due to different artists imagining it in their own way?

No, that was artistic interpretation. Both issues show winding strips of road in the middle of a void. The daytime-sky colorization in #197 was a minor error.

Question #86 wrote:Was there any truth to Bean's story of how he met Bark other than the part where he met Bark?

It's Bean. Who can really tell?

Question #87 wrote:since you are doing off the panel again will your editor mike p be in them again?

No. None of the office staff will be part of Off Panel anymore. It's 100% Sonic.

Question #88 wrote:will manic and sonia from underground ever make another appearence?

No, probably not.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Penguin God » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:41 am

1.) If Jules' wounds would reappear if the BEM deroboticized him, why doesn't Snively have toxic poisoning?

2.) Although it probably won't ever come up again, does Snively still have those fancy fingernail radios?

3.) Are there ANY big musicians besides Mina?
Penguin God
BumbleCult

Postby FairFieldFinder » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:47 am

In response to your question about the Commander, I think it would be much simpler to say he just suffers from heterochromia.

#1: Was the female echidna Lien-Da was talking to in StH: #117 Gae-Na from StH: #115 and #118?

#2: Can the questions in last month's Q&A be considered canon? Like, NICOLE being able to make a giant cannon or Omega constantly talking like HK-47.

#3: Is there any technical information you can give us about Omega? Like, he's made out of adamantium or titanium.
FairFieldFinder
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius