Ask Ian for NOV'08 - Beware the Werehog

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Moderators: Dub, LBD_Nytetrayn, Ian Flynn, Kureejii Lea, Tracy Yardley!

Postby bsonic10 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:57 pm

1) Are we going to learn who this DKA:RF fellow is in the lead up to #200 or will that be sometime later?

2) Judging from the computer saying that the D. Kingdom was online the Egg Network, DKA:RF was contacting New Megaopolis from the Dragon Kingdom?

3) Have we already met DKA:RF or is it a new character?

4) Will we learn exactly how Nic, Bean, Bark, and Fiona's parents "burned" Fiona?

5) Will we have a free comic book for Free Comic book Day this year, and if so will it be a new story like the one back in 2007 or will it be a reprint like the most recent one?
Last edited by bsonic10 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bsonic10
BumbleClan

Postby Toug » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:27 am

1) Do you have any particular explanation for Amy's hammer beyond "magic anime hammer"? She broke it in the last issue. Will it just regenerate after a while? Is hammer space accessable via the Cosmic Interstate? Am I thinking to hard about this?

2) Do you have any plans for the "Land of a Million Lights" anytime soon? I've been wondering whats up with that place forever.

3) With the seeminly impending trip to Blaze's world, I have to wonder. Will there be any particular reason that her world doesn't feature the Sonic vs. Eggman motif you mentioned all the other universes have in common?
Toug
BumbleKnight

Postby A Sonic fan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:07 pm

1) Will King Maximillian have again a major role?
2) You said everyone will play a big role in the road of 200. Also Scourge?
3) When we'll see again Robotnik in action?
A Sonic fan
BumbleNewbie

Postby WinkingSamurai » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:54 am

1.) The very first issue you were head writer on (#160) was also the debut issue of Tracy Yardley. Did you hire/have a hand in hiring Yardley, did Archie hire Yardley to establish a "completely clean break" from the Penders/Bollers run, or was it all just a happy coincidence?

2.) Bunnie Rabbot couldn't be de-roboticized by the Bem because her mechanical half was replaced. How was it possible for Robotnik, who had had his body completely replaced, to be de-roboticized?

3.) I recently reread the Sonic Adventure arc, and the columns written in the back of each issue give the impression that the staff had to play the game themselves to gleam enough of the plot to write the tie-in. My question is, exactly how much information does Sega give you about games that have yet to be released?

4.) A while back Archie did a NiGHTs miniseries. Is there any chance we could see Archie branch out into another Sega series someday?
Last edited by WinkingSamurai on Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinkingSamurai
BumbleNoble

Postby Toug » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:37 pm

4) For the heck of it:

Why does Rob have such a thick accent, while other characters from Mercia (Amy, Mighty) don't even have a hink of it.
Toug
BumbleKnight

Postby oca2007 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:05 pm

1) In your opinion, what exactly is the "Power of the Stars'?

2) Would the "Power of the Stars" ever show up in either StH or SU?

3) The Jeweled Scepter?
oca2007
BumbleNewbie

Postby Super Rayzor » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:54 pm

4. What is your relationship with Mike, by that I mean do you just have a professional relationship or have you became friends?

5. When you play the games to get a feel for the story, does Sega give you early builds, do you get free complimentary games, or do you still have to wait for the full game to hit stores and buy them?
Super Rayzor
BumbleNoble

Postby Orion101 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:07 am

One of the things I enjoy about modern comics is that heroes aren't perfect and they have good personality traits and bad traits. I know what Sonic, Antoine and to an extent Sally's bad traits are so two of my questions are.

1. What do you feel Tail's negative traits are?

2. What do you feel Bunnie's negative traits are?

3. Is the word animal a derogatory term for Mobians, I've heard Snively use it but I've also heard Mobians refer to themselves as animals at least twice before in Mecha Madness and issue 14?

4. I understand that Sega has a tight hold over what happens to their characters in the comic so how was it that Sonic and Knuckles were allowed to be given serious girlfriends?
Everyone wants to get into Heaven but nobody wants to do what it take to get there.
Orion101
BumbleFan

Postby Luger » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:55 am

1.) a.) Do you have plans to feature the surviving Brotherhood of Guardians in Sonic Universe?
b.) Is their return more likely to show up there before in the main comic?

2.) Personally, when would you like to address the Brotherhood of Guardians again in the comics (i.e. when would be the soonest you're writer them back into the series)?

3.) a.) Any ideas on how you'd set in stone the order of birth from Spectre, Thunderhawk and Sojourner?
b.) If you had to choose, would you decide based off previous dialogue in the comics, or stick to the data files?
Luger
BumbleNoble

Postby Adamis » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi Ian

- How did you have the idea to combine Anti-Bunnie, Anti-Omega and the N.I.D.S.? (it's a great one I'd say)

- Will Silver and Blaze meet each other in SU or StH?

-Any chance for a story taking entirely place in Blaze's dimension, with or without characters from Sonic's?

- Nestor the Wise is a very well known storyteller in echidnas heritage, as said in Chronicles. Do you plan to talk a bit about him in a Knuckles story?

-Any time-travelling story to come soon?
Adamis
BumbleNoble

Postby Kureejii Lea » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:48 am

FYI, guys, Ask Ian for this week may be delayed due to (literal) technical difficulties.
Kureejii Lea
BumbleKween

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:53 pm

Five hours of tech support later, and our new wireless set-up is fixed by gremlins. No, seriously, I just plugged things back in like normal and they suddenly worked. Go fig.

Anyway, let's get on to some Q&A

Question #1 wrote:Since you brought up Silver. Will we Find out who he's decended from?

Simple answer: No.

Less simple answer colored with personal bias: I'm not touching or even hinting at that in fear of Sega will make it official and make me look stupid. That said, I don't think Sega will ever delve into Silver's back-story. Short of cameo appearances or non-main-series games, I think we've seen the last of him. All that said, I'm sure he'll remain a familiar face. And given how much SegaSonic parallels Dragon Ball Z, I'd wager Silver is somehow descended from Shadow and Amy. Don't ask me how that'd work - I'm just going off the patterns.

Question #2 wrote:What is with Max constantly going from being In perfect health to being Stuck in a whellchair for some reason?

For some reason? Thus far ol' Maxie has endured:
- leading a country through a massive war
- the stress of losing his entire family
- nearly driven mad by the Zone of Silence
- brain-washed by Naugus - twice!
- nearly petrified by crystallization
- blunt trauma to the base of his skull, causing paralysis below the waist
- rehab back into a walking condition (during the year missed in "Tossed in Space")
- slowly poisoned, nearly to death

The fact he can put two words together coherently and can wheel himself around is a miracle. Sure, he's seemed to bounce back from most of that in the list, but let's be reasonable. He's had a very rough life, and it's about time he showed it.

Question #3 wrote:Sonic archives. #50. Director's cut or original release?

No idea. Given that the Select Series will be reprinting Specials, we might see both.

Question #4 wrote:Will we see Super Tails again or is Turbo just fine?

Turbo = Super. It's what the comic has established, so I'm sticking to it.

Question #5 wrote:Was Miles part of the Titan Tails?

Presumably. I doubt he looks back on that moment with any fondness.

Question #6 wrote:In Feist's only other appearance (the phenomenal issue #43), he looked rather like a badger, with distinct fur markings. In issue #170, he's a panda, with black and white marks in entirely different places. What...happened to him?

I never thought he was really pegged on way or the other. He did look badger-like, but he also had very panda-ish markings. His one flashback-cameo appearance during "The Hunt for Ixis Naugus" didn't clarify much either. So with STH#170 we decided to make him definitively one or the other.

If that doesn't satisfy, think of it this way - he reshaped an entire dimension and the Chaos Emeralds. A face-lift could've been added to the mix as well.

Question #7 wrote:Since Shade is starting to grow in popularity, and with the fact that BioWear is making a second Sonic Chronicles, is there a chance she will appear in Sonic Universe?

As said in the last month's session, I'd like to. I've got a story in mind. It's just a question of when and if we'll be allowed to.

Question #8 wrote:What ever happened to Ixis Nagaus?

Naugus was rendered feral by Dr. Eggman's Egg Grapes (STH#173). He's still around as Mogul's pet creepy-thingy. Don't worry, you'll be seeing him again eventually.

Question #9 wrote: Are we going to ever see more Zone Cops than Zonic?

At least two. I think you'll recognize who they're counterparts of.

Question #10 wrote:Does Archie accept new characters from un-established writers? I remember a questions a while back about you putting in a new character and I was curious if you could do that from the get go or not.

Sorry, but that will never fly. There's too much of a question about ownership, copyright, and blah blah blah.

Question #11 wrote:When you say "before the fates brought them together," do you mean the fates now or during the Great War? As I've read that Amadeus was over the Hedgehogs and I figured he would know them at least at an professional/military level before Julian's takeover.

I don't recall Amadeus being the Hedgehogs' commanding officer, but you may be right. All the same, that relationship would've been professional. I was referring to the events of the Robotnik Wars and their children being heroes.

Question #12 wrote:As far as the Nate idea goes, why aren't you allowed to discuss it; I mean if you aren't going to be using it, what is the harm in telling us about it as it will have no effect on the canon?

It's an unspoken rule of professionalism. You don't divulge all the stuff that happens behind the scenes at your work place - that's universal. I try to share a bit since I know some folks find it interesting, but there are limits.

Question #13 wrote:You said they wouldn't want you to use SX characters in STH, do you just mean SX exclusive characters or SX exclusive SegaSonic characters?

I'm pretty sure it would be SX-exclusive. So Topaz and the Thorndyke household would be off-limits. I'm pretty sure the "Cream Embargo" will lift, though.

Question #14 wrote:Recently I became confused about what you can and can't do with the comic. When you said they don't want you mixing Sonic X with the main comic and the fact that there was info about that restriction being lifted, does that mean that yes you can add Cream but she can't have the memories and experiences from the other comic?

Right. STH-Cream (whenever she comes to be) will be completely unrelated to SX-Cream. The cross-over we'll see in SX#40 is a special, once-in-the-series-lifetime event.

Question #15 wrote:Is there any chance NiGHTS can make an appearance?

Nope, sorry. We've been asked to quit it with all the cameos.

Question #16 wrote:Regarding Robotniks, and despite the S.S.S.S.S. being in the main comic already, Would the Robotnik from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (and his mother) be able to appear in SUni? (Sonic Underground already took SU in my mind)

If we were to do a story in the AoStHverse, sure. But the chances of that are next to nil.

Question #17 wrote:Before (and while) he was on Mobius-Prime, for a time Eggman was essentially an A.I. And there was that whole bodyjumping stint.

I'm gonna have to phrase this carefully - is there any chance that Eggman could, well, not be the only Eggman? I'm trying to be somewhat ambiguous here in terms of what I'm saying deliberately.

I get what you're saying, and I appreciate your efforts to walk that fine line teetering on fan-submitted-idea.

I suppose that, theoretically, there could be an A.I. copy of Eggman somewhere. It would be tricky since, during that time, Sonic was usually blowing up the base that A.I. was currently residing in. It's a neat thought, but it'll probably only be explored in the realm of fan-fic.

Question #18 wrote:What's Rouge up to? We saw she was up to something in StH:#184 but we don't know what.

You'll see exactly what Rouge is up to early in Sonic Universe!

Question #19 wrote:Do you have any plans for E-123 Omega?

I do. Solid, concrete plans.

Question #20 wrote:Do you have any plans for a Sonic 06 adaption?

I'm treating it as if Sonic06 already happened. Since its story effectively makes itself never happen, I'm saying that it did happen in the book - which is to say it didn't. Hooray for paradoxes!

Question #21 wrote:Was there any 'old canon' stuff you were desperate to get rid of or downscale when you came onto the comic?

I was only dead-set on two things:
1) Make the comic more manageable for the new reader
2) Kill Tommy Turtle

I'd say just about everything from "Birthday Bash" to "Enerjak: Reborn" was about tightening things up and streamlining them, and I definitely got rid of Tommy for good. So now my focus is on revamping old material, exploring untapped potential, and moving forward - without Tommy.

Question #22 wrote:Will the Dark Egg Legion be featuring in the run up to #200 or earlier?

Very much so.

Question #23 wrote:Was Silver's appearance always on the cards or was it a spur of the moment decision?

Everything just fell together. "Bold New Moebius" needed a climactic ending, I wanted to do a story inspired by a piece of art Tracy Yardley! did called "Hedgehog Havoc," and I wanted to work Silver in somewhere. All of that was floating around for months and just happened to click one day.

Question #24 wrote:Despite your admitted dislike of Marine, she is still set to appear in SU. So in the run up to 'Hedgehog Havoc', what is your personal opinion of Silver? A good addition to the canon, or another character your not particularly fond of?

Keep in mind I'm also not a fan of the AoStH stuff, but I brought back the S6 Squad. My personal dislikes come a distant second to what's good for the book, good for the story, and good for the fans. That said, I do enjoy Marine's up-coming appearance. There's some funny stuff. Whoops! Spoilers!

Anyway, I like Silver. In a series full of bigger-than-life, ever-assured characters he's unique. He comes on strong, but he's constantly in self-doubt. His naivety, his innocence, and his out-right aloofness are endearing to me.

Question #25 wrote:Are we going to learn who this DKA:RF fellow is in the lead up to #200 or will that be sometime later?

I'll be dropping a few hints in the lead-up.

But that's it! I'm not going to be offering other clues online since I actually want you all to be surprised for once. (Y'all figure things out too quick!)

Question #26 wrote:Will we learn exactly how Nic, Bean, Bark, and Fiona's parents "burned" Fiona?

Maybe one day. Fiona's not a big enough contender as a villainess just yet to get all the pages needed for a full backstory, but I'll be piecing it together where I can.

Question #27 wrote:Will we have a free comic book for Free Comic book Day this year, and if so will it be a new story like the one back in 2007 or will it be a reprint like the most recent one?

There will be a STH FCBD 2009. I can't go into detail yet, though.

Question #28 wrote:Do you have any particular explanation for Amy's hammer beyond "magic anime hammer"? She broke it in the last issue. Will it just regenerate after a while? Is hammer space accessable via the Cosmic Interstate? Am I thinking to hard about this?

I'll answer the last part first: yep! Sega seems content to have it as a "magical anime hammer," and like Silver's lineage, I'll willing to roll with that for fear of future contradiction.

Question #29 wrote:Do you have any plans for the "Land of a Million Lights" anytime soon? I've been wondering whats up with that place forever.

Kinda-sorta-maybe. It's sort of fun to have a place with such a neat name remain so obscure.

Question #30 wrote:With the seeminly impending trip to Blaze's world, I have to wonder. Will there be any particular reason that her world doesn't feature the Sonic vs. Eggman motif you mentioned all the other universes have in common?

Well, it might if you consider Blaze Sonic's analogue and Cpt. Whiskers to be Dr. Eggman's. It's not a perfect fit, but it's all Sega's provided us so far.

And I mean "us" as in "the people playing the games" us. Not the official comic "us."

Question #31 wrote:You said everyone will play a big role in the road of 200. Also Scourge?

"Everyone" is pretty all-inclusive, isn't it? I meant the Freedom Fighters and Chaotix.

Question #32 wrote:When we'll see again Robotnik in action?

Very much so.

Question #33 wrote:The very first issue you were head writer on (#160) was also the debut issue of Tracy Yardley. Did you hire/have a hand in hiring Yardley, did Archie hire Yardley to establish a "completely clean break" from the Penders/Bollers run, or was it all just a happy coincidence?

Very happy coincidence.

Question #34 wrote:Bunnie Rabbot couldn't be de-roboticized by the Bem because her mechanical half was replaced. How was it possible for Robotnik, who had had his body completely replaced, to be de-roboticized?

This has come up before, and it's the kind of continuity question that gives the writer pause before laughing like a fool because he's caught.

The only explanation I can think of is that Robotnik's shells were all built 100% identical to his roboticized self. Each alloy, every servo, all of it precisely as it was before. That, of course, kinda falls apart when we take into account that Dark Metal Robotnik (or Robotnik Mach II if you prefer) looked nothing like "Cyber Robotnik," was was rebuilt from pieces of the Giant Borg from else-Zone.

I could say that the Bem's technology was just that powerful, but then it re-opens the question of why Bunnie and Jules didn't get treated.

I usually pride myself in coming up with patches for stuff like this, but I'm going to have to admit defeat. But even if I could flawlessly explain it away, I think doing so in the book would cause more problems than the plot hole creates.

Question #35 wrote:Exactly how much information does Sega give you about games that have yet to be released?

That's something I don't think I can really get into.

Question #36 wrote:A while back Archie did a NiGHTs miniseries. Is there any chance we could see Archie branch out into another Sega series someday?

I find it highly unlikely, and for reasons I can't get into, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

And not to be cruel to the company, but what other series? Burning Rangers, Billy Hatcher, Ristar, Vector, Ecco and Toejam & Earl all look like dead properties. NiGHTS just got a new game, but I don't think it really took off. And Phantasy Star might be too violent for Archie - y'know, what with the slashing and shooting of hostile wildlife.

Question #37 wrote:Why does Rob have such a thick accent, while other characters from Mercia (Amy, Mighty) don't even have a hink of it.

Verily? Thou thinkest that Lord Rob do speak in a manner most uncouth! Lackaday! Tis but the color of the tongue in his region. Tis true that fair Amy does not partake in such mannerisms, but take note - sirrah - she was raised far and away from the lands from whence she hailed. Forget not that Mari-An too was not from the region, and that seen we have not the average Mercian.

And may the crows take your eyes if thee mentions the robians under the High Sherrif's command, for surely their manner of speech was influence by their mind control!

...and I have way too much fun writing that style, so he's keeping it!

Question #38 wrote: In your opinion, what exactly is the "Power of the Stars'?

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to infer that the "Power of the Stars" is the pan-dimensional powers of the Jeweled Scepter.

Question #39 wrote:Would the Jeweled Scepter ever show up in either StH or SU?

Ehh....sorta-kinda-yes. You'll see.

Question #40 wrote:What is your relationship with Mike, by that I mean do you just have a professional relationship or have you became friends?

I'd say we're friendly. I can certainly speak candidly and casually with him. But he's still the boss and I'm still the freelance lead writer guy. There's still a sense of professional respect there. I guess it's better to say that he's a good boss to work for.

Question #41 wrote:When you play the games to get a feel for the story, does Sega give you early builds, do you get free complimentary games, or do you still have to wait for the full game to hit stores and buy them?

When I play the games for the story, it's to get extra detail. I purchase them the same as everyone. The only difference is that when I play, it's with a pad of paper by my side and I spend the cutscenes scribbling furiously. I also end up losing a couple days as I plow through the game as fast as possible. My final write-ups on the games are usually ten pages long, depending on the game.

For example: when getting story data on Shadow the Hedgehog, I played through each "pure" scenario: Hero, Hero-Neutral, Neutral, Neutral-Dark, Dark. That write-up took forever!

Question #42 wrote:Is the word animal a derogatory term for Mobians, I've heard Snively use it but I've also heard Mobians refer to themselves as animals at least twice before in Mecha Madness and issue 14?

I think it's a context sensitive word. Mobians can refer to themselves that way as a positive or neutral distinction from humans/Overlanders - it's a basic identifier. The way Snively uses it is derogatory, implying a lesser status.

Question #43 wrote: I understand that Sega has a tight hold over what happens to their characters in the comic so how was it that Sonic and Knuckles were allowed to be given serious girlfriends?

Knuckles gets away with it because he isn't as popular as he once was. He isn't the main marketing icon, so we're allowed much more freedom. As for Sonic, I have no idea. We just kinda go with it and change something if we're told to.

Question #44 wrote:Do you have plans to feature the surviving Brotherhood of Guardians in Sonic Universe? Is their return more likely to show up there before in the main comic?

Nothing concrete, but I have an idea or two. I'd say it's more likely we'd see them in SU since it's more likely to focus on characters like Shadow and Knuckles.

Question #45 wrote:Any ideas on how you'd set in stone the order of birth from Spectre, Thunderhawk and Sojourner? If you had to choose, would you decide based off previous dialogue in the comics, or stick to the data files?

The only way to really have it "set in stone" would be to have a revised Data File that trumps everything.

Personally, I thought Sojourner looked older than Thunderhawk in their initial appearance, but I'd have to research the official lineage(s) more before I could decide on one.

Question #46 wrote:How did you have the idea to combine Anti-Bunnie, Anti-Omega and the N.I.D.S.?

I've had the idea of Buns in a robot for a while. Just as Bunnie is half-mobian, half-robian, I liked the notion of full-bodied Buns being completely encased in a robot - an extreme version of Bunnie's predicament. Very early concepts had Buns in very Gamma-like armor, but that was years ago.

The only problem I had with my plans was that Buns didn't really have a reason to remain in the robot armor. Bunnie's cybernetics are (to a degree) tragic, and I didn't want to lose that in Buns's design. When the full story behind Maria came to light, I thought it was an excellent way to tie a SegaSonic concept into the book and give Buns the reason she needed to be bound to the robot. It also created a kind of cruel irony for Bunnie.

I went with Omega's design since it seemed to lend itself better to housing a mobian, and it seemed much more apt for her character.

Question #47 wrote:Any chance for a story taking entirely place in Blaze's dimension, with or without characters from Sonic's?

Most definitely. In fact, if you read SU, I guarantee you'll see it.

Question #48 wrote:Nestor the Wise is a very well known storyteller in echidnas heritage, as said in Chronicles. Do you plan to talk a bit about him in a Knuckles story?

The way I'm thinking we can make the Nocturnus Clan work in the Archieverse doesn't really lend itself to Nestor being well-known to Knuckles. He's also a detail I don't know if I could immediately work in to the book. If I get occasion to reference him, though, I will.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Tonberry2k » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:33 pm

Since the beginnings of the book we've had the basic core Freedom Fighters; Sonic, Sally, Tails, Rotor, and Antoine. soon after, we got Bunnie, then later, Amy. Mina got mixed reviews. Tommy tried to muscle himself in there, but fan response and you kind of did away with that.
Could you see any successful attempts to add new characters to the core or take away from it? I'm really more interested in the latter.

Just to clarify, I'm not asking if you would, one way of the other. Just if you can see it being a successful addition or schism.
Tonberry2k
BumbleNoble

Postby GrandMasterGalvatron » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:54 pm

Any idea when we'll be seeing a logo for Sonic Universe?
GrandMasterGalvatron
BumbleKnight

Postby FairFieldFinder » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:16 am

Thanks for replying.

1. What's going to happen to Buns Rabbot now that her Omega Care Unit has been partially destroyed?

2. Which Sonic game would you like to do an adaption of?

3. Does SEGA ever tell you to do a specific story? Like if they wanted you to promote Sonic & the Black Knight by doing an adpation of it.

4. Which Sonic story you've made do you think is your best?

5. Do you have any plans involving Lien-Da?
FairFieldFinder
BumbleClan

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius