The Fanfiction Discussion Thread

Forum dedicated to fan-creations of all kinds from all related titles. (Sonic series. BumbleKing Comics)

The Fanfiction Discussion Thread

Postby HavocAngel » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:56 pm

(Hey look, it's my first topic! I picked the right forum, right? D:)
Assuming that a number of you read fanfiction, this thread exists to link, recommend, discuss, or critique fanfiction that you enjoy or have posted off-site (provided that the links only go to appropriate fanfiction as determined by forum rules). You can discuss what sort of fanfiction you like in general or bring up specific fanfics. You are also welcome to discuss ideas on how you think a fanfiction piece should have gone as opposed to how it actually turned out.
HOWEVER...
In discussing, critiquing, or expressing your desired changes to a work, be thoughtful of the writer in question/who wrote it to some degree. Assume they use this forum and will notice your post, or otherwise will come across your critique sometime in the near future. I have made the mistake of talking about someone's work and thinking they'd never notice or care, but they did.

Things you may want to include in your post:
-Ships used in the work
-existence of fancharacters (some of us like them, some of us don't)
-anything else you think you should warn people about

So, for now (since my brain has fried and I can't seem to remember the plot to any other great fanfiction I've read at the moment) I'd like to recommend the following fanfic:

Title: The Slave and the Darkness
Cat: Sonic the Hedgehog
Primary character: Shadow
Ships: Sonsal [possibly mentioned], KnucklesxFC
Fancharacters: Yes.
Summary: A very interesting and completely unique take on the events between Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes. It's part of a fanfiction set, so it takes place late in a series with its own universe. The official summary reads, "Mekion is a new robot created by Metal Sonic, and his first mission is to sneak up on Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles, and photograph them without being seen. But this is not so simple, and Mekion finds the mortal he was and the robot he is are at war..."
Rating: K (But I would probably say it's K+ instead due to some violence)
Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1503212/1/The-Slave-and-the-Darkness

Due to it being in a series (which I really love), I can't really complain about how the story ended, and the criticisms I would have are more for the series as a whole. (I.E.: I don't like how Rouge is mostly just a jerk in her stories.) I find the story extremely entertaining, and I actually have bits of it nearly memorized because it was also made into a radio drama (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuBsKB0XG6FgcuZWdbsL4NeWh_GbwBjih). As a disclaimer, however, there will be at least several things that may be difficult to understand because of previous series events, if you don't start yourself earlier in the series. While the author ties things in in a manner which I would not say I was ever in extreme confusion when past things were referred to, I still had no knowledge over what she was talking about because I hadn't read the earlier fanfic[s]. A couple of these details might even sound silly just because there is no context, even though they make perfect sense in-series. As for myself, I began this series with Shadows of Chaos, but I chose not to list it as my recommendation in this thread because I don't remember exactly what happens or the nature of the ships used. I can say, however, that Shadows of Chaos uses a plethora of fancharacters (as opposed to a few in The Slave and the Darkness) and is very detailed. In it's defense, it's the most interesting and involved Sonic Adventure 2 adaption I've ever read.

If it were a stand-alone fiction, I really would have preferred it to end differently, but as it's in a series, the resolution is passable and provides adequate transition to the next fanfic in-series.
Spoiler: show
Spoiling the fanfiction, the strained relationship between Sonic and Shadow has always been painful for me in her series due to the bond they're initially shown to have. This continually doesn't sit well with me as I feel the author gives us a beautiful brotherly relationship, then takes it away later and seemingly refuses to let the hedgehogs make amends. This is especially tragic because Sonic really seems to want their relationship restored.
HavocAngel
BumbleNewbie

Re: The Fanfiction Discussion Thread

Postby Azul » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:38 pm

Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby HavocAngel » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:23 pm

I thought this warranted a new topic because it covers fanfiction specifically and because you can discuss other people's fanfiction rather than simply sharing your own. My mistake.
HavocAngel
BumbleNewbie

Postby Azul » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:42 pm

I mean, if people want criticism, discussions, etc, they can ask for it. Or make a topic about it.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby FritzyBeat » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:58 pm

Yeah, actually I have to agree with Havoc here, that other thread is for sharing your own fan content, and honestly is more of a post-fest than actually getting to discuss stuff X3 We could use a thread just to discuss fanfictions in general. =D

I haven't read many myself, but I'd love to be referred to a few that you guys think are good =)
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:06 am

I didn't read much fanfics, but the best ones I saw were written by this guy https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1592337/Frozen-Nitrogen
Nitrogen makes stories that happened in games world (Sonic 3 adaptations, Heores aftermatch, etc.), but with much more realistic approach and deep look into characters. I recommend them to anyone who thinks that Eggman went soft with time. Only drawback is that his descriptions might be a little to long, but maybe it's only problem for foreign like me.

My favorite would be
"Prisoners" - Short story what Shadow and Omega did to Metal Sonic after Sonic Heroes.
"Angel Island Zone" - Veeery interesting look at relation between Knucekles and Eggman during Sonic 3 & Knuckles
"The Other Guardian" - Have you played Sonic Rush? Remember that cutscene where Blaze fights Knuckles? Here's how make it awesome without changing even one line of dialog.

Also, if you like Metal Sonic, check this shorty http://jammerlee.deviantart.com/art/Now ... 9030&qo=15
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby CaleTheCat » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:38 am

My experience with fanfiction, huh...

I've read some Sonic-fanfics, but the majority that I've read is definitely Naruto, the first one being A Growing Affection, written by Xavon Wrentaile. Since my OTP is NarutoXHinata(NaruHina), I naturally read stories with that pairing.

I've also read fanfictions of Harry Potter, Bleach, One Piece, Kingdom Hearts, Fullmetal Alchemist, Fairy Tail, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Avatar the Last Airbender, Pokémon and Digimon.

--Fumo!!
CaleTheCat
BumbleClan

Postby Azul » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:17 pm

OK, I'll bite. Check out a preview for this Smash Bros. fanfic I started. Give me your honest thoughts about this.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:25 am

Azul wrote:OK, I'll bite. Check out a preview for this Smash Bros. fanfic I started. Give me your honest thoughts about this.

What there is to say about this? Bowser wrecks havoc, Falcon tries to stop him and fails. End of story.
If you asking is your style of writing is good then "yes", but if you're asking if that caught my attention then "no".
It's short, which is good and bad at the same time. Good, because I felt like reading it. Bad, because there isn't any moments that makes me feel 'Ooo, I wanna see what will happen next.'
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:52 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
Azul wrote:OK, I'll bite. Check out a preview for this Smash Bros. fanfic I started. Give me your honest thoughts about this.

What there is to say about this? Bowser wrecks havoc, Falcon tries to stop him and fails. End of story.
If you asking is your style of writing is good then "yes", but if you're asking if that caught my attention then "no".
It's short, which is good and bad at the same time. Good, because I felt like reading it. Bad, because there isn't any moments that makes me feel 'Ooo, I wanna see what will happen next.'

No, not end of story. Its a preview, as in not done yet. What you read is no where near the final result. Let me also point out that the story starts in medias res and the real story starts after that paragraph.

But I was really looking for an assesment in the writing style more than anything else. I mean, I was looking for more than "Its good," but I was kind of hoping for a more in depth commentary but thank you regardless.
Last edited by Azul on Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Unknownshadow675 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:18 pm

While exploring on a site called Quotev I came across a little story called At All Costs.

It's pretty okay. I think the description of the characters should of been pulled off better (As well as the detail in general which it greatly lacks.), the action could of been more elaborate and fleshed out upon, and the overall plot is kinda nonexistent apart from a couple lines.

I think the dialogue between characters is.. acceptable? I don't expect something grand from the dialogue, but it felt a bit weird. Like the characters really didn't speak to each naturally to me.

If there's one thing I can praise it for it's that the Author actually knows a bit of lore. And boy does this person like making "*" on sentences. I think there's about 7 or 8 so far. They are all mentioned at the very bottom with a sentence or two explaining what that particular thing is.

I don't hate this story. It's flawed in many places but it's one of the better fan fictions I found on that site. Which is sad since 90% of what I saw were X readers. So beware if you check the site out.

Here's the link in case any of you want to see the story for yourselves: http://www.quotev.com/story/6310486/At-All-Costs/
Unknownshadow675
BumbleFan

Postby Azul » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:00 pm

If anyone's interested, I've uploaded chapter 1 of my Return of Giga Bowser fanfiction. Thoughts and critcism are greatly appreciated.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Postby Azul » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:51 pm

To anyone still checking out this thread, chapter 2 is up. Read it and weep, comment and criticize please.
Azul
BumbleKnight

Return to The BumbleKreative Korner