Archie Sonic: Online - MOVING! Check OP for link

Forum dedicated to fan-creations of all kinds from all related titles. (Sonic series. BumbleKing Comics)

Re: Archie Sonic: Online - Seeking Artists and Web Designers

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:29 pm

GentlemanX wrote:
faceclams wrote:Thought you guys might appreciate an update. I've finished rough pencils for all the pages, you can see them here.

The first page was supposed to be pencils actually. I tend to sketch very rough, I was concerned about the neatness so I may have went overboard... The rest of the pages are more like how I normally sketch (chicken scratch ahoy).

Before I get to inking do you have any feedback? thoughts? The composition and flow was definitely a new challenge for me. The panel layout still feels a bit static, but it was an extra challenge to make it visually interesting when the characters are sitting around a table and talking the whole time, haha.

One more thing that came to mind, are we going to be using pre-reboot designs wherever applicable? I'm not sure when this takes place, should Ray be in his jacket, goggles+scarf, or original outfit?

When I hit the link all I can see is the first image, though I'm not used to using imagur, is there some place I'm supposed to click to see the other pages?

Yeah, I know there's not much movement in the story :oops: I promise the next one I'm working on has a lot more going on visually. I was going for something simplistic that anyone interested could attempt to draw, but it does come out pretty static.

The designs are something we're discussing. The short version, if a character looks like they needed updating visually, like Nic's "Nack with boobs" original look, we'll see about giving them a redesign (that's where great concept folks like KKM come in!) while those that don't get left alone (Khan and Geoffrey have their own distinct look for example). As for this story, I did actually consider mentioning Ray's design, but decided since this is a noncanon practice story it didn't matter what outfit he was in. For the record, as the story is between Tails and Ray in New Mobotropolis, I envisioned the story taking place before the Chaotix left the city, so Ray would be in his jacket design. Again though, it's a noncanon practice story, no need to be strict with stuff like that yet.

Ryannumber1gamer wrote:On another note, I wanted to try spread word about the project because I thought the first issue was done really great, so I created a topic on SSMB about it (Basically where a ton of Archie Sonic fans were hoping for a continuation of the old universe). It's getting a good bit of activity as well.

Oh, and if you guys were looking for suggestions for story ideas while LHT was is being made, because of how the SGW went down, a cool story might be a distortion for the Zone Cops showing us some of Ian's unused ideas before he changed them, like Antoine's supposed death before it was changed to him living.

I've seen the thread! Might join SSMB just to engage folks there, but not sure quite yet. I'm busy doing various other things for the project and have a list of short story ideas to run through of my own, but perhaps someone else would be interested in writing a script? ShadowImp and TuxKnux are both viable options, but anyone else interested is free to do so as well. We're always interested in getting more scripts we can pass on to more artists to ultimately make more comics!

There is some people who are interested in writing for the comic if you want me to post an announcement on SSMB.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby faceclams » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:44 pm

Whoops, better link.
faceclams
BumbleNewbie

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:32 am

Ryannumber1gamer wrote:There is some people who are interested in writing for the comic if you want me to post an announcement on SSMB.

Nah, I'll go on there myself in due time probably. The best thing to spread is to get people interested to join the forum, that'll be the easiest way to organize everyone and directly contact me.

Thanks for the pics faceclams! There's some things that turned out a lot different than I was picturing that I'll comment on later once I get a chance to go over my script again, but I love the way everyone looks and all their expressions, Ant in panel two of page two is probably my favorite. And I like some of your additions like having the pic of Sally. Great job!
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby faceclams » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:27 pm

Thanks GentlemanX! I'd like to hear how you originally intended certain parts, it'd help both writers and artists with communicating clearly in the future. :)
faceclams
BumbleNewbie

Re: Archie Sonic: Online - MOVING! Check OP for link

Postby GentlemanX » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:30 am

Sorry for the wait! Here's my thoughts from script to page!

Page 2, Panel 1: The format for this panel turned out a lot different than I thought! Originally I was picturing something based on this Sonic Universe cover, with Sonic making a similar expression to Shadow. Tails and Antoine would have been in the foreground with the attention on them while Sonic's facepalm was in the background to kind of lampshade him from the moment. My script doesn't indicate this at all, so I'm not surprised it got interpreted as Sonic walking toward the table. I think it works pretty well as faceclams drew it though, so I'm not concerned.

What does appear to be missing though are some of the objects I intended to be in the scene. The most important is Antoine's napkin which he mentions in the dialogue and leads to the joke with Tails in the panel. Ant should have a visible napkin displayed like this throughout the comic as he tells Tails how to use a napkin in this setting. Tails, not having clothes to tuck the napkin like Antoine, puts it over his face instead.

Less important is Sonic's "Kiss the Hedgehog" apron is missing. I thought it was an appropriate call back to the kind of imagery was common in the Gallagher era.

Page 2, Panel 2: No problem here, I just love Ant's expression. :)

Page 3, Panel 2: The close up to Ant's face wasn't originally in my script; instead I had Ant visibly look woozy and Sonic and Tails appear concerned. This really just shifts the comedic focus of the moment. I thought Sonic and Tails suddenly paying attention to Antoine without saying anything was funny rather than Antoine's reaction to the chili-dog, but I can see why faceclams wanted to focus on that (I just said I loved his Antoine expressions).

Page 4, Panel 1: I originally didn't have the image of Sally above Sonic and Tails, but I think it's a great addition! To complete the joke, if there's room, you might consider including all of the colors I mention Sally turned into in the balloon.

Also, I think my script got a little too crowded here as it tried to give Sonic a funny line and a "serious" line in the same panel, but I didn't want to disrupt how I wanted the rest of the page to look. :x

Page 4, Panels 2-4: Speaking of, these look pretty much exactly what I was going for! Awesome!

Page 4, Panel 5: To answer the question in the panel, yeah that's what I meant by "cheerful noogie" (yes I actually wrote that).

Page 4, Panel 6: Ant's expression isn't exactly what I was going for, he looks sort of perturbed in the comic whereas I had intended for him to look weak (I attribute that to my saying his face was "green" rather than "pale"). Regardless, that's a perfect expression for what I was going for with Sonic so that's sweet.

Page 5, Panel 1: It took me a little bit to figure out why this panel came out differently than I intended, but then I realized one of the major reasons; Tails and Ray have switched seats! The first page had them where I intended them to be, but somehow they've ended up the other way around on page five. The panel originally had Ray looking down at his chili dog rather than Tails, taking in everything Tails had said, while Tails and Chuck were located behind him in the panel, observing like "I remember when I was that age".

Page 5, Panel 2: This one is primarily different because of the changes that were made to panel 1: instead of Ray turning his head from the chili dog to Tails, he's still looking at Tails and Tails arm is just kind of there because we're not changing the "camera angle" like I originally planned (changing from a "camera" on Ray's right to a "camera" on Ray's left).

And that's it! The only other thing I would say was is that I originally pictured the setting a little differently. Chuck's chili-dog stand actually looks like what I wanted, which was closer to his stand in STH LTD #0 rather than Chuck's Diner from Knothole. I had originally pictured the chili-dog stand from "Blast to the Past Part 1" from SatAM, which this really looks like. It's just that the stand is located in the city in the show while this one isn't. I really don't mind this change at all, but just thought I'd point it out.

Anyway, I do really like how it came out, so great job faceclams! Can't wait to see the final inked version and again I'm sorry it took me so long to get all this written out!
GentlemanX
BumbleNoble

Postby faceclams » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:52 pm

GentlemanX wrote:Page 5, Panel 1: It took me a little bit to figure out why this panel came out differently than I intended, but then I realized one of the major reasons; Tails and Ray have switched seats!

*Facepalm* I can't believe I didn't notice that! >:0
faceclams
BumbleNewbie

Postby Ian PK » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:43 pm

We have a new-new website! http://archiesoniconline.com/
Just throwing that out there before this forum gets closed down...
Ian PK
BumbleCitizen

Previous

Return to The BumbleKreative Korner