Super Mario Bros. in Neo Bowser City - It's Back!

Forum dedicated to fan-creations of all kinds from all related titles. (Sonic series. BumbleKing Comics)

Super Mario Bros. in Neo Bowser City - It's Back!

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:23 pm

Update: We're finally underway, and you can find the three-page sneak preview here!

---

So, it's no small secret that hey, I'm a Mario fan. And I'm also a comic book fan. As it so happens, I even like some comics based on Mario. Go figure.

Something I'd hoped to do when I was with Nintendo Power was to revive the concept-- I figured at the time that it probably had a better chance of happening within the pages of Nintendo's official magazine more than anywhere else. After all, NP was no stranger to Nintendo comics: Howard & Nester, Super Mario Adventures, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Mario vs. Wario, Mario & Wario, Super Metroid, Star Fox, Metroid Prime, and I think a few others over the years. Incidentally, of the different Mario comics that have been made, the ones NP featured by Tamakichi Sakura (aka Charlie Nozawa) and Kentaro Takekuma were my favorite.

Unfortunately, Nintendo Power didn't last long enough for me to try to set the wheels in motion. I had kind of hoped that maybe if the magazine were to provide something beyond what would be found online (i.e. news and stuff; NP had plenty of exclusive reveals, but once stuff like that is out...), it might help its chances of survival. Alas...

So when Nintendo Force started up and I was invited to be on board, I saw my opportunity. Rather than go with what I figured would be a more "officially acceptable" direction for the comic (better to save that for later, should I ever be so blessed), I had another story which had been long gestating that I thought would be a perfect fit. Sort of something I'd long been planning and hoping to do online, but never finding the time to act on it, NF provided the motivation to make it happen. And so, with the launch of NF's first issue, "Super Mario Bros. in Neo Bowser City" debuted to the public, carrying on the tradition set by Nintendo Power.

...and then we had to stop including it after the second issue, because of reasons.

Nonetheless, the spark had caught fire and I've been motivated to keep it going. After several months, I finally launched its own website at SMBNBC.com (or just click the link in my sig) just before the Sonic Lost World "First Play" marathon. (And the reason I'm only mentioning this now has been because I've been doing some fine-tuning to things, including trying to make sure my butt is covered as far as any legal stuff might go.)

And if you're interested in the creative side of things, you can check out my scripts (for what's been published thus far) here. This is a learning experience for me, and I figured sharing these might help allow others to hone their craft as well, if they like.

I'd hoped to pick it up with the start of the new year, but I'm currently waiting to hear back from my artist, Mark Kelly, who has a busy schedule. We've got some plans for what to do here, and hopefully they'll bear fruit soon (I haven't been able to get a hold of him in a while), but in the meantime, I invite you to check it out. Fingers are crossed that we'll be able to continue soon-- I especially want to be on the radar if Nintendo really does start licensing for stuff like this!

Note: If you're new to this thread and curious about the "hiring" part, click here.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
Last edited by LBD_Nytetrayn on Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Re: Super Mario Bros. in Neo Bowser City

Postby SurrealBrain » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:10 am

I enjoyed Neo Bowser City when I read it on your site. Hopefully you and Mark Kelly can make more!
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby RadRed89 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:39 am

I liked it too in the two issues of Nintendo Force you were allowed to have it before you had to pull the plug. So I'll keep track of it now that you've got it online. I hope you put notices up here whenever you update with a new page.
RadRed89
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:03 am

I certainly will! Whenever I get to update, I'll be singing it from the rooftops.

Glad to know you guys are enjoying it. =)

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby The Bored » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:28 pm

It is a good Mario comic so far. I hope you get to continue it. I can't wait to see your take on the koopalings
The Bored
BumbleNoble

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:31 pm

The Bored wrote:It is a good Mario comic so far. I hope you get to continue it. I can't wait to see your take on the koopalings

Thanks! Me too!

And, well, you've seen one so far. As for the rest... I look very much forward to showing them off. >=D

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Danny8bit » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:09 pm

Pretty awesome! I had no idea about Nintendo Force. So, thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Are you diggin' my comic so far?
Last edited by Danny8bit on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Danny8bit
BumbleNewbie

Postby SurrealBrain » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:14 pm

Danny8bit wrote:Are you diggin' my comic so far?

I am, but I don't think this is the appropriate thread for it. Apologies if I come off as rude.

EDIT: Also, I'm aware you were asking LBD. Again, apologies for any rudeness on my end.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby Danny8bit » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:17 pm

^ HOW DARE YOU LIKE MY COMIC!?

No, thanks, man. Seriously.
Danny8bit
BumbleNewbie

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:18 am

Honestly? I can't really say; I've opted to avoid it for much the same reason Ian avoids fanmade Sonic and Mega Man materials. =\

I do apologize, and I'd be checking it out were it not for that; I hope you'll understand.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Danny8bit » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:17 pm

I mean, it's your call, and I'm not offended or anything.

But, it's not like you're writing an official Mario comic and might get accused of stealing (that is why Ian doesn't read Sonic and Mega Man fan stuff, right?)

I read Neo Bowser City (which is very cool, by the way) and don't feel uncomfortable at all. I'm definitely not going to steal anything from it, because you and I are both telling completely different Mario stories.

If your stance on the matter is unchanged, then that's cool. I just wanted to offer my 2 cents on it, and hope you think about it and possibly reconsider (in fact, if your thing is Mario comics, then I strongly urge you to reconsider).

Either way, your comic is cool! Keep it up, man!
Danny8bit
BumbleNewbie

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:07 am

Danny8bit wrote:I mean, it's your call, and I'm not offended or anything.

But, it's not like you're writing an official Mario comic and might get accused of stealing (that is why Ian doesn't read Sonic and Mega Man fan stuff, right?)

Right, but that just goes back to the last thing I said in my first post in this thread: If anything official does begin to happen, I'm going to do everything I can to try to be in on it. I've wanted an opportunity for so long, and you can bet I'll jump at the first chance that comes up.

I read Neo Bowser City (which is very cool, by the way) and don't feel uncomfortable at all. I'm definitely not going to steal anything from it, because you and I are both telling completely different Mario stories.

Indeed. Of course, if I ever do find myself in a position of doing an official Mario comic, Neo Bowser City is by and far not the story I'm going to tell. I've more or less had a Mario timeline/world mapped out in my head for years.

If your stance on the matter is unchanged, then that's cool. I just wanted to offer my 2 cents on it, and hope you think about it and possibly reconsider (in fact, if your thing is Mario comics, then I strongly urge you to reconsider).

It is for now; sorry. Maybe someday, though.

Either way, your comic is cool! Keep it up, man!

Thanks! I'm sure yours is as well, so you keep it up, too. =)

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Danny8bit » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:04 pm

If you've had a Mario timeline/world mapped out in your head for years, then I still don't see the harm in looking at mine, because I'm sure it's very different from what you're planning to do. : P
Danny8bit
BumbleNewbie

Postby SurrealBrain » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:15 pm

There may still be individual ideas that may be similar, even if the stories themselves are different. If there are similar ideas running about, it might cause a mess. We don't want that, do we?

I still want to see what both of you guys have in store for the future. I'm happy to read a good Mario comic, even if these two are different.
SurrealBrain
BumbleClan

Postby Danny8bit » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:57 pm

Nytetrayn and Danny8bit writing Mario comics for Archie together... Now, THAT would be awesome!
Danny8bit
BumbleNewbie

Next

Return to The BumbleKreative Korner