Endangered Species #244 Remake: PAGE ONE IS UP

Forum dedicated to fan-creations of all kinds from all related titles. (Sonic series. BumbleKing Comics)

Re: Endangered Species #244 Remake: PAGE ONE IS UP

Postby diamonddeath » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:34 pm

SimonSays wrote:No, a few pages were drawn, but only the first one was colored. I had some trouble keeping up with the pages and doing the colors, so that really held things up, and I'm still really sorry about that. I had a lot of the second page already done, maybe it would be worth trying to finish it. I dunno.

The script was fully written and was really fun, I have it saved on my computer but I don't want to share it without TSE's permission. Once LHT was announced, we had decided to hold off on continuing more pages so that it might be possible to work them into the original comic plans. There was a lot of talk about doing an Archie Sonic: Online back then and I think we were uncertain about stepping on someone else's toes. It's been almost two years now, so I don't know what we ought to do. I think for all intents and purposes, we can consider the project cancelled.

TheMobian (now FritzyBeat) finished the pencils for the first six pages, which you can check out here: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

I see, thanks for the update. Maybe we can get more hands on the project if we do an Archie Sonic Online, and I say we because I've mentioned this idea myself before, and I have a ton of ideas to write it into the continuity as an alternate reality, so yes if possible I'd love to work on it.
diamonddeath
BumbleNoble

Postby FritzyBeat » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:00 pm

mmhmm~

I know if this Archie Sonic:Online thing goes through, I'll definitely be signing up as an artist (Probably for mostly off panels, but I'd love to do some stories if the comic does come around).

I had a lot of fun working on those 6 pages though, so I can't wait to see what happens when Ian releases his Lost Hedgehog Tales.
FritzyBeat
BumbleClan

Postby Striker » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:35 pm

I remember wanting to give support to a Archie Sonic Online way back when. Id love to get one up and running if possible though. Waiting for Lost Hedgehog Tales would be ideal but with progress on it being slow going it might not be for a long while before it gets released. Maybe work on original stories or short out of continuity strips until LHT is released?
Striker
BumbleClan

Postby QuantamEdge » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:08 am

I've been interested in joining a project like this, so if you guys do try an Archie Sonic: Online, then I'd be happy to try and do some writing for it when the LHTs are released. Sadly, I can't be of any help in the artwork department since my drawing skills are so poor I'd only be able to make a fancomic in the "Sketchhog" style.
QuantamEdge
BumbleKnight

Postby Mobotropolis » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:43 pm

I don't think ya'll should wait for Lost Hedgehog Tales. It may be a few months or it may be never.

Even if Lost Hedgehog Tales come out you may decide you want to take the book in another direction anyway. Remember that as a fan production you don't necessarily have to be loyal to the source material.

In fact, it might be a little restrictive at first.

Also keep in mind that there will be a point where the source material will run out and you'll have to branch out on your own. It might be worth it to think of plots, characters, and events of your own that you might want to explore after or alongside the main story. There may be stuff that the fans were interested in that Ian didn't intend on touching anytime soon.

One idea might be to hold something like an informal poll or get some discussion going around the types of things that people would actually want to see.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby SimonSays » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:15 pm

I suggested moving forward with fan projects without LHT a few months ago and everyone balked at the idea. I guess the climate has changed since then. :/

That said, I think a lot of the appeal of an AS:O would be seeing how the comic would have continued if the reboot hadn't happened at all. Seeing the original plans gives a direction, some insight to what these tidbits were going to get used for. Trying to tie all that together without knowing what it was going to be used for sounds like a lot of difficult work, and it would save a lot of hassle, I think. Taking the book in another direction than it was intended might happen anyway, but it would be nice to be able to choose to do that, rather than be forced to come up with something new and then see the cool ideas in LHT later.

I'd read a fan production either way, tbh though. I think the thing to do now would be for anyone who does want to do an AS:O to make a thread and form some kind of committee to get ideas circulating. Maybe identify all the plot threads that needed closing and go from there. Figure out if it would rewrite the edited arcs we got at the tail-end (Endangered Species and the Mercia part of Chaotix Quest) or make do with what we got. Get some arcs planned first, nail down a direction, and then recruit some people to do the script and art.

It would probably be good to put some motivated people at the lead just to keep things organized and moving too, instead of this nebulous bunch of writers/idea-havers saying "well I'd like to be involved somehow" but then no one saying "ok then this is what we're going to do." A project like this would take years just to do a few issues. This isn't something like "I have some free time next week, I'll do it." It would need a few Sallys at the helm to assess the situation, set some goals, and point at things to give direction.

It'd be even better if there was a different board for this, because I don't think Ian's own Bumbleking is really where a project like this belongs. An unofficial continuation would be using some "legally sensitive" characters. I'd worry about organizing that continuation on his board looking like an endorsement. This would be the fans' baby, not his. I know other projects like SatAM Season 3 used original creator plans to base their stories on and that was fine, but let's just remember the still somewhat hairy context surrounding the pre-reboot continuity. Maybe looking at it that way, it might be better not to use LHT at all.

Whatever you decide to do, the first and best thing now would be to just get talking about it. The AS:O thread we had has been dead for a year and a half, and it hinges almost entirely on getting the plans from LHT. Start a new one and plan the basics. I like Mobotropolis' idea of figuring out what people want to see first. Maybe a good order to discussing things would be something like this:

Weeks 1 and 2 (Don't even start working on anything, just gauge everyone's opinions to see what their vision for an AS:O would be)
- Talk about the ending to the reboot that we got (I was most excited about ______ character/subplot, desire to see Engandered Species as it was intended vs. working with the story we saw and starting after Thrash exiles everyone, I really wanted to see Rob instead of Bow, I'd like it if World's Collide stayed canon upon returning, etc.)
- What we'd like to see moving forward in the short term (wrapping up existing arcs, one long story or many small arcs, etc.)
- What we'd like to see moving forward in the long term (incorporating more game stuff, revisiting more old stuff, etc.)

Weeks 3 and 4 (Discuss whether to use LHT when it comes out or to create wholly original stories)
- To use LHT or to not use LHT, that is the question

Weeks 5 and 6 (Actually put together the framework for the project, so that there's no confusion when work starts being done)
- Consensus on how decisions are going to be made (poll, staff, when we have disagreement how is it settled, etc.)
- Okay, who's actually going to be working on this project? Pick your long-term members who are going to run this thing.
- Establish roles, who's going to do what, exchange contact info, etc.

Anything after that:
- Future arc discussion and planning - at this point you should probably be moved to another site besides BK
- Script writer recruitment/Writing
- Artist recruitment/Arting
- Editing, Posting
- Continue f o r e v e r

I'd love to help more directly with a project like this, either by organizing people or doing some of the artwork, but I know I can't pledge any time to this until at least next summer. I look forward to seeing what you guys can come up with though. Only exception is that if it's decided to integrate this Endangered Species story into the AS:O project, I'd probably be down to color the rest of the pages.

EDIT: I was rereading the first AS:O thread and found that The Shadow Emperor had already shared a link to the script of the ES Remake, so read away!
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby Mobotropolis » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:57 pm

I'd also be open to helping from an organization standpoint.

In addition, I can offer some web hosting for a forum and possible website should this ever get off the ground in a promising way. It'll be a subdomain of my main website with the option of adding a real domain to it later.

Yeah. I think we should start this off on a New Topic. The only caveat being that whoever the Topic Creator is would have to be and remain fairly active on this board to maintain the First Post until we get to the point where we'll move this offsite.

As far as Topics go ... maybe each week we should cover a different concept of the project to get people talking. The Topic of this week's discussion would be posted at the same time. Perhaps Friday since people are more active over the weekend and that gives us the week ahead to nail down the details.

You schedule is a good one, Simon. We can use each piece as a Topic for discussion.

Some things, like Recruitment, will not be resolved in a week but we can use the week to focus on that Topic specifically and get the word out. Recruitment will likely be an ongoing process. We'd just be able to establish the criteria for various roles and figure out a way to keep track of everyone who might be involved.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby Striker » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:39 pm

That is actually very well put SimonSays. The first step we need to take would be organization, and I don't know about anyone else, but to me you would be a great leader for this, SimonSays.
Striker
BumbleClan

Postby SimonSays » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:19 am

Ahhh, thank you! I think if it wasn't for school and the other billion personal projects I'm working on, I would love to do it, but I need to know my limits.

I don't mind setting up the new thread for this and managing the biweekly discussion topics, since I'm around here all the time anyway. I like the idea Mobotropolis had of changing the topic of the week on the same day each time, that would be easy to follow. If anyone else has any other ideas for things we should discuss, let me know and I'll add it to the list.

I'll work on making that thread and get it going, at least. I can't promise anything farther along when we start planning arcs and doing work, but we'll worry about who's going to handle that later on. For now it'll just be figuring things out.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Postby Mobotropolis » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:53 am

That's good to hear.

Ideally, responsibility wouldn't fall on any one person. So we wouldn't have just one Discussion Leader, Organizer, Editor, Writer, Artist, Letter, Colorist, or what have you. Since most of us are teenagers/adults with other responsibilities things can get dropped unintentionally and without a Plan B go awry.

A way to alleviate that right from the get-go we can have the list of weekly Discussion Topics posted somewhere so we can have access to them and have someone else lead the discussion if you're unable to for that week.

Maybe a good Topic for Week 1 would be fielding for Topics we think should be discussed in the following weeks.

Even breaking it down into categories.
Mobotropolis
BumbleNoble

Postby SimonSays » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:06 pm

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8424&start=0

The deed is done. Any other ideas on how to handle an AS:O should probably get put in there. I'm totally open to more ideas from other people on how to manage the OP, just let me know.
SimonSays
BumbleNoble

Previous

Return to The BumbleKreative Korner