Innocent Until Proven Guilty: Sonic '06

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Innocent Until Proven Guilty: Sonic '06

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:45 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:
lalalei2001 wrote:http://www.bumbleking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8612

Just a heads-up, i made an Internet reviewers thread on the Bumblekourt so these threads won't get clogged.

I'm not sure if this is needed. The completionist topic already talks a lot about it.

I prompted anyone interested to do so in the OP, so it's fine. The other one got derailed so utterly and thoroughly, but now that there's an actual place for the discussion to be had, that stops now.

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Someone though that making hub or speed sections were good idea.

I personally thought that the likes of Unleashed/Colors/Generations showed that speed sections can work, just not the way they were in '06. The trigger sidesteps add a lot in my view.

I liked the hub in Sonic Adventure. I don't think those are inherently bad, either, but then I'm coming from Peach's castle, Isle Delfino, and the Comet Observatory, so mebbe I'm biased.

Still, I think Sonic '06's was nice, but needed more landmarks and things to do -- though there was apparently more than I was aware of from watching Let's Plays, like that stopping the robbers' car thing and such.

(Full disclosure: my entire Sonic '06 experience is the demo and Let's Plays. I've always wanted to add it to my collection, but only if I could score it for under ten bucks new-ish. That's never happened.)

That said, based on what I've seen, here are my general thoughts on '06:

Graphics: Fantastic

Art Style: Not quite so fantastic. Things like Eggman and just the general mix of realistic humans and cartoon animals is just a bit more of a jarring contrast than I'd like. I think Unleashed did this better. Sonic himself feels a little odd as well -- wasn't this where the "long legs" thing began? And my wife was noting during the review that his hand covered his entire torso when he was blasted. Handily convenient for that part, but a bit absurd as well.

Music: Love it.

Concepts: I think there's a lot of strong stuff here, but not fully polished or realized. As noted, the speed sections for example were done better in Unleashed through Generations. Silver's concept is pretty cool, and one I'd like to see revisited in a better game overall (okay, so I hear there's this Gravity Gun thing... but I mean in a Sonic game).

I liked some of the different mission objectives and stuff seen in Shadow's adventure as well.

Story: Pushing Elise and Sonic past friendship is a little "eh..." to me, but I enjoyed the rest. Aside from the way the Chaos Emeralds and such make fitting it into the Sonic timeline a bit of a square peg-in-a-round hole situation, it seems pretty tight within its own confines. I do like how the stories intertwine -- nothing new, but if memory serves, there's a greater consistency than SA1 here and no talking over one-another like SA2.

Really, I think it just would have been much better overall with more time in the oven to polish, refine, and tweak things. It wouldn't help some aspects, but those might be more easily ignored if not a part of the overall comedy of errors that ended up resulting from the rushed (and, if memory serves, understaffed) development.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Mr.Unsmiley » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:14 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I liked the hub in Sonic Adventure. I don't think those are inherently bad, either, but then I'm coming from Peach's castle, Isle Delfino, and the Comet Observatory, so mebbe I'm biased.

don't forget Gruntilda's Lair
Mr.Unsmiley
BumbleKnight

Postby The Swordsman » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:24 pm

I really like hub areas and I always prefer games to have them even if I have to sit through a bunch of loading screens. It makes the world feel more real to me.
The Swordsman
BumbleCitizen

Location: Somewhere fighting the Eggman Empire for the United Federation.

Postby ToaArcan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:52 pm

Also gives you a place to get a handle on controls before you have to play a level.
ToaArcan
BumbleFan

Postby faceclams » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:44 pm

I liked Generations' hub area, it was pretty cute. Haven't played much of Unleashed but the hub there is nice too. 06's hub was just too big and empty.
faceclams
BumbleNewbie

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:58 pm

Mr.Unsmiley wrote:
LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:I liked the hub in Sonic Adventure. I don't think those are inherently bad, either, but then I'm coming from Peach's castle, Isle Delfino, and the Comet Observatory, so mebbe I'm biased.

don't forget Gruntilda's Lair

I'll have to get back to you on that one.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby DaddlerTheDalek » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:42 am

Sonic '06 should be a memorial for SEGA's and Sonic Team's mistakes.
DaddlerTheDalek
BumbleKnight

Postby Mordum » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:44 am

I like to imagine Sonic 06 in a tuxedo t-shirt.

Because it's like, I wanna be formal. But I came here to party.
Mordum
BumbleNoble

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius