STH#279 - Spoilers & Discussion

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: STH#279 - Spoilers & Discussion

Postby The Shadow Imperator » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:13 pm

QuantamEdge wrote:I really wonder what kind of hopelessness Nephthys feels if she thinks Sonic can't ever fully beat Eggman and the whole fight against him is useless.

On a meta level, she's completely right.
The Shadow Imperator
BumbleFan

Postby QuantamEdge » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:33 pm

The Shadow Imperator wrote:
QuantamEdge wrote:I really wonder what kind of hopelessness Nephthys feels if she thinks Sonic can't ever fully beat Eggman and the whole fight against him is useless.

On a meta level, she's completely right.

Maybe she has some sixth sense that's telling her that :P Actually, if Ian does go that way, then that sort of subtle fourth wall breaking would be awesome.
QuantamEdge
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:37 pm

But it's a thing in-universe as well. Sonic may win his bouts against Eggman, but the actual fight has been going on for years in their time. And even in the old continuity, Eggman being gone only gave way to other villains coming out of the woodwork.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Specs64z » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:58 pm

The two-parter build-up definitely worked in the story's favor. The dynamic with the new FF is interesting,
Spoiler: show
and I am curious to see if the fragile peace they have maintained with the egg boss can be held.
I also hope that it will be elaborated upon (when and why). Much better than the last two or three issues. The cast was still overcrowded (did we really need a full page of Big?), but it worked. I am curious as to why Neph-whatever became an egg boss in the first place and ready for more. Way better than part one... not that was hard to do...

Hidden costs is brilliant. It just might be my favorite arc thus far. No complaints here.

Also, whats wrong with villains being evil for the sake of being evil? I mean, it would be annoying if they were all cookie cutter terrorists, but do they all need a backstory?
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Postby RaceProUK » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:09 pm

Specs64z wrote:Also, whats wrong with villains being evil for the sake of being evil? I mean, it would be annoying if they were all cookie cutter terrorists, but do they all need a backstory?

RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby Specs64z » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:09 pm

RaceProUK wrote:
Specs64z wrote:Also, whats wrong with villains being evil for the sake of being evil? I mean, it would be annoying if they were all cookie cutter terrorists, but do they all need a backstory?

Exactly!
Specs64z
BumbleFan

Postby Xabin » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:57 pm

Personally, while gruff, I don't think Axel is that evil, considering a) he dislikes Eggman with a passion, and b) he only works with the guy because of rumors that Eggman's restarted the Roboticization process. I could be wrong, but I get the sense that, if he wasn't forced to work with Eggman, he'd be fighting against him.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby ReifuTD » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:28 pm

I find the idea of someone that can make good people and almost everyone around them do bad things can even continue making them after they are put in a position of power way more scary and those people backed in such a corner way more dangerous then a bunch of evil mustache twirling villains.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby jazzflower92 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:07 am

Hey, has anyone mentioned a little known fact that in Ancient Egypt vultures were actually seen as motherly and nurturing. This might have to do with how Nephthys is characterized because despite being a villain, she obviously cares about her subordinates and seems to have a moral code even if a lot would disagree with her logic behind supporting Eggman.
jazzflower92
BumbleFan

Postby Auklin » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:03 am

Ah, character dynamics, refreshing, makes you interested to see how things will play out in the future. Quite impressed with this issue, Big is always an awesome humor outlet.
Auklin
BumbleFan

Postby DabigRG » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:48 pm

Meliden wrote:Not read the story myself, but I do like how the additional parts of Nephthys (the Egyptian goddess)' mythology are being brought into play here. I think I pointed out how the myths don't actually paint her as evil when her name was first brought up, but that seemed to fly out the window early on. Well, turns out it didn't, and she's basically being the villain as a necessity (just as death is a dark but necessary facet of life). Plus, reading into it further, she was known as being a very maternal goddess, and I hear that the concept art uses words like "motherly" and "caring" to describe her. Neat.

Not gonna lie, until I read this, I assumed Nephthys, the "motherly protector of the dead", being used as the name of a villainous vulture was ironic black comedy at first.
DabigRG
BumbleNoble

Postby akessel92 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:33 pm

ReifuTD wrote:I find the idea of someone that can make good people and almost everyone around them do bad things can even continue making them after they are put in a position of power way more scary and those people backed in such a corner way more dangerous then a bunch of evil mustache twirling villains.

And what makes it even more so they're in the position due to manipulation by a certain mustached villain.
akessel92
BumbleNoble

Postby RaceProUK » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:47 pm

ReifuTD wrote:I find the idea of someone that can make good people and almost everyone around them do bad things can even continue making them after they are put in a position of power way more scary and those people backed in such a corner way more dangerous then a bunch of evil mustache twirling villains.

That's reminded me of a series of experiments run back in the 60s and 70s which investigated this very concept: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby ReifuTD » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:45 pm

RaceProUK wrote:

That's reminded me of a series of experiments run back in the 60s and 70s which investigated this very concept: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

That's classic, where people tend to do bad things because if told by a higher authority. My favorite is decimation witch think Eggman would be found of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimation_(Roman_army)

I remember in a book this army had a lot units desertions because they didn't want to kill civilians(civilians turned into Zombies). When the main army caught them they was given a choice decimate your selves and join back into the army or die. They choose decimation, once they did so they talked about how decimating them selves broke their free will.
ReifuTD
BumbleCult

Postby MetalSkulkBane » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:13 am

This Milgram experiment always bugged me. I'm not saying it's fake, but I can't imagine myself willing shocking someone when he begs me to stop.
MetalSkulkBane
BumbleKnight

PreviousNext

Return to This Side of Mobius