Locke the Abusive Father

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Re: Locke the Abusive Father

Postby Antiyonder » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:57 am

MetalSkulkBane wrote:Honestly that might be the only time I'm really sympathizing with Penders' view. Locke was his favorite character and a center of whole lore he build through years. And what future writers did? Made white echidna who said "Bah, all of this was stupid", change Locke into an butt and kill him with 90% percentage of echidnas. You can smell ashes from Penders work purged with fire.

And yeah, in most cases I understand why Flynn did what he did. But on his place I wouldn't push Locke that far.

That's why some writers don't make a tribute character into a regular character. There's the temptation to favor that character more than others and not writing them properly because you want them to fit your definition of the perfect person.

Astrobot7000 wrote:Locke was not a good father. Many arguments can be made whether he was abusive or not, but I personally do not think he was a good father. But I don't think that necessarily makes him a bad character. chearacter weaknesses are much more interesting than their strengths. I think Locke was an interesting man, not entirely a good one, and not a bad one either. He had many facets, which was ultimately his greatest weakness.

That's true, but it's not simply a case of making a character who did wrong, but insisting that the character is in the right or justify their behavior in general.

A good writer would make a character like Locke, but at the same time, making implications that said actions are wrong and having other characters either questioning it or at least show a sign of disapproval.
Antiyonder
BumbleCitizen

Postby Xabin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:21 pm

The fact that Locke was a tribute character never sat well with me, especially with his death in Mobius: X Years Later; I mean, we've got Knuckles, who got genetically modified and radiated by Chaos Energy to become his people's superpowered savior, and it's Locke that ends up dying from complications from the procedure? That doesn't make any sense to me; if Locke ends up getting cancer, because of the experiments he subjected himself and Knuckles' egg to, why didn't Knuckles come out as a tumor baby or something? Or was his knuckle spines supposed to be a mutation caused by those experiments? If that's so, then that's a pathetic deformity to show how Knux was affected by the experiments. I understand what Penders was going with for it, but he needed to make sure it was in line with logic and continuity, for it to not look stupid.
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:05 am

Xabin wrote:The fact that Locke was a tribute character never sat well with me, especially with his death in Mobius: X Years Later; I mean, we've got Knuckles, who got genetically modified and radiated by Chaos Energy to become his people's superpowered savior, and it's Locke that ends up dying from complications from the procedure? That doesn't make any sense to me; if Locke ends up getting cancer, because of the experiments he subjected himself and Knuckles' egg to, why didn't Knuckles come out as a tumor baby or something? Or was his knuckle spines supposed to be a mutation caused by those experiments? If that's so, then that's a pathetic deformity to show how Knux was affected by the experiments. I understand what Penders was going with for it, but he needed to make sure it was in line with logic and continuity, for it to not look stupid.

If you mean the spikes on his hands, then yeah, I think they addressed that as such. Not standard-issue for echidnas, those...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Scruffy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:18 pm

LBD_Nytetrayn wrote:
Xabin wrote:The fact that Locke was a tribute character never sat well with me, especially with his death in Mobius: X Years Later; I mean, we've got Knuckles, who got genetically modified and radiated by Chaos Energy to become his people's superpowered savior, and it's Locke that ends up dying from complications from the procedure? That doesn't make any sense to me; if Locke ends up getting cancer, because of the experiments he subjected himself and Knuckles' egg to, why didn't Knuckles come out as a tumor baby or something? Or was his knuckle spines supposed to be a mutation caused by those experiments? If that's so, then that's a pathetic deformity to show how Knux was affected by the experiments. I understand what Penders was going with for it, but he needed to make sure it was in line with logic and continuity, for it to not look stupid.

If you mean the spikes on his hands, then yeah, I think they addressed that as such. Not standard-issue for echidnas, those...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

That's correct. In Knuckles #25 when Locke gave the exposition motherload, both Locke and Knuckles took their gloves off to show that Knuckles' hands had the spikes whilst Locke's did not.
...it just looks wrong somehow. :shock:
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby Xabin » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:31 pm

Okay, so the knuckle spikes was a result of the experiments. Fine. But why didn't he suffer any other health effects? Again, this is Locke, a guy who altered his DNA and submitted himself to Chaos energy so much, he died of CANCER. If that can happen to someone as fit and healthy and old as him, then what do you think would happen to an unhatched child?
Xabin
BumbleCitizen

Postby Scruffy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:41 pm

Xabin wrote:Okay, so the knuckle spikes was a result of the experiments. Fine. But why didn't he suffer any other health effects? Again, this is Locke, a guy who altered his DNA and submitted himself to Chaos energy so much, he died of CANCER. If that can happen to someone as fit and healthy and old as him, then what do you think would happen to an unhatched child?

Well, I'd say turning green, overloading on Chaos energy and dying was a pretty severe side effect... maybe the side effects just took awhile to catch up with him. :P
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:18 am

Sure is a lucky thing that the physical deformity brought on by those Chaos energies was the same thing that the Guardians had been putting fakes of on their gloves for years.

It's like the latest in a long lineage of clowns being born with a big red nose that squeaks.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby 009* » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:53 am

Scruffy wrote:
Xabin wrote:Okay, so the knuckle spikes was a result of the experiments. Fine. But why didn't he suffer any other health effects? Again, this is Locke, a guy who altered his DNA and submitted himself to Chaos energy so much, he died of CANCER. If that can happen to someone as fit and healthy and old as him, then what do you think would happen to an unhatched child?

Well, I'd say turning green, overloading on Chaos energy and dying was a pretty severe side effect... maybe the side effects just took awhile to catch up with him. :P

Considering how Knuckles botched about four chances to end Robotnik/Eggman himself, I'd say that he got hit with some kind of mental impairment.
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby RaceProUK » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:07 am

009* wrote:
Scruffy wrote:

Considering how Knuckles botched about four chances to end Robotnik/Eggman himself, I'd say that he got hit with some kind of mental impairment.

I wouldn't call 'unwilling to kill' an impairment.
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Postby 009* » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:10 pm

RaceProUK wrote:
009* wrote:
Scruffy wrote:

I wouldn't call 'unwilling to kill' an impairment.

He killed both Kage and Hunter outright. And given the options he has when he's powered up enough, Knuckles could've even non-lethally stopped Eggman.
009*
BumbleKnight

Postby RaceProUK » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:06 pm

009* wrote:He killed both Kage and Hunter outright. And given the options he has when he's powered up enough, Knuckles could've even non-lethally stopped Eggman.
Unwilling ≠ incapable
RaceProUK
BumbleFan

Previous

Return to This Side of Mobius