Sonic Comic Origins - Spoilers & Discussion Mega Thread

Forum devoted to Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe and the entire Sonic line by Archie Comics.

Sonic Comic Origins - Spoilers & Discussion Mega Thread

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat May 03, 2014 5:41 pm

"Sonic Comic Origins" started in FCBD this year. It'll be a feature in the Sonic Super Special Magazine and the Sonic Super Digest. Each installment is five pages long, and they'll be interconnected to some degree, at the very least in that they all fill in some backstory to both the characters and the new lore.

I think it's kinda silly to start a new SCO thread with every small installment, so I'm starting this permanent mega-thread to be commented upon whenever the newest installment comes out.

This is a spoiler free-for-all thread! If you come in here, you're here with your blinders off.

Sonic Comic Origins
#001 - Sally - Free Comic Book Day 2014 / Sonic Select vol. 10
#002 - Rotor - Free Comic Book Day 2014 / Sonic Select vol. 10
#003 - Antoine - Sonic Super Digest vol. 8 / Sonic Select vol. 10
#004 - Bunnie - Sonic Super Digest vol. 9 / Sonic Select vol. 10
#005 - Nicole - Sonic Super Digest vol. 11
#006 - Genesis Portals - Free Comic Book Day 2015
#007 - Snively - Sonic Super Digest vol. 12
#008 - Razor

FAQ
I can't wait for [Sega Character] to show up!
Eh... SEGA has asked we not show anything implying the game cast as aged. They can also be picky about which games we acknowledge and how.

So... Sonic and Tails never grew up with the Freedom Fighters?
They did, to a degree. Tails was among those rescued from Mobotropolis when Dr. Eggman attacked. He was supposed to cameo in SCO#001, but I guess he was cut.

Wait. Sonic was there, but you can't show him...?
I'll figure something out. There's more than one way to skin a mandate.

So who will SCO be about, if not the game cast?
Everybody else!

Does that mean [Character Name] will be featured?!
Hold your horses. We've got a lot of world building in store.

SCO#001 -Why was Bunnie in a wheelchair?
Art error. Being in the wheelchair is right, but she's supposed to have her cybernetics. Hopefully this will be clarified in future installments.

SCO#001 - Is Ben Muttski the same age as Sonic?
No, he's roughly Tails's age. In the script, he was described as smaller, younger, and being carried by Uncle Chuck.

SCO#002 - Is "Jerk Dad" a revamped Sherman Walrus?
No. All parents featured now and in the future are wholly original characters. The exceptions are King Acorn, who has been brought back closer to his SatAM roots, and Vanilla, since she's SegaSonic.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Re: Sonic Comic Origins - Spoilers & Discussion Mega Thread

Postby Gonzo » Sat May 03, 2014 6:07 pm

Eh... SEGA has asked we not show anything implying the game cast as aged.

And yet they did exactly that with Generations...

I'm looking forward to future installments. :)
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Postby OncleSam » Sat May 03, 2014 6:23 pm

I hope there will be some kind of way to see the FCBD in posts or by PM, I don't think I will be able to get the FCBD 2014. I think I'll manage to get the ones from SSD and SSSM.
OncleSam
BumbleKnight

Postby Meliden » Sat May 03, 2014 6:56 pm

Maybe the random green Tails thing in SCO#001 was originally going to be Tails himself, then. It did seem a bit random when the others in the panel were named characters.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby YamiMario » Sat May 03, 2014 7:05 pm

Sonic's backstory is now a adaption of Sonic's Schoolhouse. YAHOO!

It must be a pain to work with so many restrictions now, considering you can't visually even show the main character growing up.
It's understandable they make the rules like that, this isn't the 90's any more where the actual product was really vague about the characters/setting, and it seemed like making up stuff to expand on the universe was encouraged for the marketing, for better or for worse.

The reboot does take away some of the "hey, here's some really cool old obscure stuff!"-factor of the comic, which did play a big part in getting me interested in the comics to begin with. I thought it was fun going back to read about Monkey Khan's original appearance when he was re-introduced into the comic. It's not all about the comic-exclusive characters, though, I'm still geeking out about how you connected something as obscure as Tails' Adventure to Sonic Riders, that's just brilliant!

While some of the old toys are taken away, and that's huge shame, I'm really loving the new universe, and I'm eager to know much, much more about it, and it's characters. I wish we could know exactly what's going and what's staying, so people would stop asking, but I know that can't be talked about.

I hope you have fun creating the new world for both young and old Sonic fans to enjoy, Ian!
YamiMario
BumbleNewbie

Postby TheFatPanda » Sat May 03, 2014 7:13 pm

I hope Ian is, at the very least, able to acknowledge Sonic's early Japanese backstory (i.e. being born on Christmas Island).
TheFatPanda
BumbleChosen

Postby Meliden » Sat May 03, 2014 7:15 pm

That's if Sonic Team even see that as canon themselves. Which I wouldn't know myself.
Meliden
BumbleCult

Postby Sparky » Sat May 03, 2014 8:00 pm

Something I'm really wondering is if this event described with Eggman throwing King Acorn and Naugus into the Special Zone takes place before Sonic 2 or even before Sonic 1...
Sparky
BumbleNoble

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Sat May 03, 2014 8:07 pm

Not to found of that change honestly. I mean I know The Zone of Silence couldn't be used but why not use the Void?
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby Pengi » Sat May 03, 2014 8:13 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:SCO#001 -Why was Bunnie in a wheelchair?
Art error. Being in the wheelchair is right, but she's supposed to have her cybernetics.

Any chance of this being corrected when Origins is put in a graphic novel?
Pengi
BumbleCitizen

Postby streetsonic13 » Sat May 03, 2014 11:21 pm

Why being picky? We had seen Sonic and Tails in Generations and implied for Knuckles and Amy in other merchandise. Are they still ignoring the Game Gear titles?

Not to found of that change honestly. I mean I know The Zone of Silence couldn't be used but why not use the Void?

Guess they can't cause it's part of the old community. Seriously, there's gotta be something more in the Special Zone besides going in there for the Chaos Emeralds.
Last edited by streetsonic13 on Sun May 04, 2014 6:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
streetsonic13
BumbleCitizen

Postby Toby » Sat May 03, 2014 11:33 pm

Classic Sonic was 15/16. He hasn't aged at all.
Toby
BumbleNoble

Postby The KKM » Sun May 04, 2014 1:08 am

Sonic in Generations was celebrating his birthday from 15 to 15 when he's visited by his younger 15-year-old self. It's not hard to grasp, it's the kind of nonsense-in-the-story-but-important-out-of-it element that happens so often like how Marvel used to have a rule Wolverine couldn't show arm hair when wearing the suit, even if in the panel before he was dressed like a normal person and his arms looked like a bear's
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun May 04, 2014 1:29 am

Gonzo wrote:
Eh... SEGA has asked we not show anything implying the game cast as aged.

And yet they did exactly that with Generations...

I'm looking forward to future installments. :)

As time goes on, I get the feeling that's not quite what SEGA was specifically going for there. I imagine this was the equivalent of featuring 8-bit sprite Mario in various Mario games, but not so literal, and more "hey, what if that version was in HD?"

Whether it came off that way, of course, is another story...

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Gonzo » Sun May 04, 2014 1:35 am

Sonic in Generations was celebrating his birthday from 15 to 15 when he's visited by his younger 15-year-old self.

The game is all about time. I refuse to believe that Sonic doesn't age naturally, because otherwise there is no point to Shadow's alleged immortality (and also it's utter nonsense).

Maybe this particular mandate runs on the "we will temporarily bar Cream, a game character, from use in the main Archie comic because she's in Sonic X" line of backwards antimatter logic.
Gonzo
BumbleKnight

Next

Return to This Side of Mobius