Preview: What is "Chip and Walter"?

Forum for the Dubworks blog, home of Jonathan Gray's webcomics: Chip & Walter and Time Trouble!

Preview: What is "Chip and Walter"?

Postby Dub » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:20 pm

So yeah. I'm stealing Ian's nice little Cosmo thingy because I can and it suits my needs fine. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *awkward cough*

What is Chip and Walter??

PUDDING!!! LOTS AND LOTS OF PUDDING!!!

What?

No, Professor Wetbread. That's... that's not what it's about at all...

Chip and Walter was one of two very personal comics series that I'd created in middle school - the other one being called Time Trouble. When I attended the Savannah College of Art and Design I'd finally overcome enough of my internet shyness to put the comics online. It was moderately well recieved (I guess it was anyway) but very amateurish in its production values. I had a great plan for the story, but didn't really know how to implement it to the best of my ability - same goes for the art. I was very much learning as I went and it shows. I did get a lot better by the end of the first go round but the end of the school year I'd unexpectedly gotten hired by Archie Comics to do freelance work for Sonic the Hedgehog. It was my very first professional job and was very important to me, so unfortunately I had to let my personal comics go. Since then CNW and TT have languished in the back of my mind until I could formulate some plan to reasonably bring it back and tell the story at a decent pace.

What is Chip and Walter about?

WELL IT DOESN'T SOUND AT ALL LIKE IT'S ABOUT PUDDING NOW DOES IT?!?!

No, Professor Wetbread. It's not about puddi-.

LAME!!!

**sigh**

In two sentences - Chip and Walter is the story of four children: Chip, Walter, Wendy and Artie (don't call him Artemis) Duckbill. It tells the story of their harrowing journey to find a new home and establish a new life after their father and last living relative, Duncan Duckbill (a scientist for a local corporation) is murdered after his revolutionary invention, The Crystal Star, has mysteriously gone missing...

Who are Chip and Walter?

AND WILL THEY BRING ME MORE PUDDING?!?!

Ignoring you, Professor Wetbread. A pair of twins in the middle of four children, Chip is the leader - strong, athletic, hotheaded, brash and has something of a mouthy attitude. After their father's death he takes it upon himself to become the leader and make sure his brothers and sister make it out alive. Walter is the brains of the duo - quiet, pensive, analytical, inventive, snarky without being full of himself, and possessing a genius level intellect, he doesn't like being in charge, instead choosing to provide the technological know-how to figure out how to get his siblings out of harm's way. He's also the only one who can decipher and understand and solve the puzzle of his father's many cryptic notes.

Bookending the duo is the oldest by one year, Wendy - second in charge, resourceful, nurturing, able to think instantly on her feet, and the only one able to knock Chip down a few pegs when he gets out of hand. If Chip is the muscle and Walter is the brains, Wendy is the backbone. Last is the youngest, Artie - precocious, scary as well as being scared, wise beyond his years, very much a kid and possessing minor traits of his other siblings without the knowledge on how to properly use them. Artie is the heart and the wild card. A strange and bewildering combination, but it works.

Who else is in the cast?

WILL THEY BRING ME MORE PUDDING?!?!

Icecap and Polaris might, Professor Wetbread.

I'm telling you RIGHT NOW that we will do no such thing!
I BROUGHT THE NICE SCREAMY MAN SOME OF YOUR PUDDING, BOSS!
**sigh**

Without bogging this post down, Chip and Walter will be joined by Baxter Taft - the man Duncan has appointed to adopt his kids and is desperately seeking to find them from those who would do them harm, Nicholas Taft - Baxter's nephew; adopted after the death of his own father, Nicole Minktail - Nick's loving and devoted fiancee, Bradley Lawson - Nick's oily and jerkish best friend, Cameron Kirby - a lovable but utterly clueless dimwit who was best friends to Chip and Walter in childhood, and Chester - the Duckbill's large and fuzzy English Sheepdog.

Villains include Professor Wilton Wetbread, wrongly framed for the murder of Duncan Duckbill and out for revenge, Professor Nigel Nutshell, Wetbread's malicious and scheming rival, Icecap Penguin and Polaris Polarbear, two bumbling thieves from the icy wilds of Isopotamia (re: Canada), Mr. Twister, a hired assassin out to kill the children, The Deatheye, Twister's mysterious swiss-army style Robot with a giant eye, The Lady in Red, head of the mysterious NSFFS Assassins League and Twister's boss, and finally, the true big bads - The NSFFS Corporation...

What kind of webcomic will this be?

Oh, I imagine that it will have lots of Candy Corn and Rainbows and Unicorns and-
Stop talking, Polaris.
Cotton Candy and Pumpernickel and what is Pumpernickel anyway because it's certainly not made out of pumpkins-
Please stop talking, Polaris.
nor is it made out of nickel and for that matter I can guess that putting the two of them together would not taste good AT ALL
Polaris.
because let's be honest, who in their right mind would want to eat Pumpkins full of Nickels and-
SHADDAP!!!!!! **WHAM**OOOWWW!!!SHADDAP!!!!!! **WHAM**STOP IT BOSS!!!SHADDAP!!!!!! **WHAM**THESE IDIOTS AREN'T BRINGING ME ANY PUDDING AT ALL!!!THAT HURTS!!!

O... Kay.

Chip and Walter is action-adventure webcomic with a heavy slant on comedy. CNW switches its dials between serious and silly very frequently and very often which is part of the fun! You *KNOW* when the series has hit its serious mode and what it is capable of, especially given how it starts...

For those that never read the original, the story will be retold from the start meaning all new art and much better plotting and pacing. I haven't decided what to do with the old material yet except for the fact that, for now, it is indeed gone. I have some ideas in mind though.

When will the site launch and what will the update schedule be?

Well, I'm guessing Jonathan will-
Nick. Buddy. Let me handle this. You see, this little bit of insight is best left described by somebody as amazingly important and devastatingly good-looking as I am.
Um.. I guess, but - wait, what?
Ugh. God, Bradley... You so full of yourself.
**pause** Nicole, what is your point?
**annoyed** My point is -
IT IS NEARING THE HOLIDAY SEASON AND I HAVE NEITHER PUDDING NOR EGGNOG AVAILABLE! PRODUCE SOME NOW OR SO HELP ME I WILL VAPORIZE THE LOT OF YOU!!!
SWEET LORD IN HEAVEN!!!

I'm sorry. Is it too late to opt out of this stupid questionnaire?

Its too early to tell when the launch will be but at earliest I'd say sometime early next year? I'm still figuring out the webpage building now that Bumbleking has done its move. I know that it will definitely contain two webcomics and a blog focusing on my most recent artistic endeavors that aren't covered by Sonic or Project #2 (heehee).

The update schedule will not be every day any more. I want to alternate it with Time Trouble but I have to find a decent pace with which to do it. I also have to do it within reason of my full time position as production artist at Archie and occasional dialogue writer with Boom's Disney material. (I have a pretty big palette these days. ^___^) I'm thinking two updates a week for both but I honestly don't know yet. I'll cross that bridge once the page is done. Right now I am working on the new backlog.

What about Time Trouble? Can you give us a teaser?

Have you noticed that we haven't been in this Q&A thing once and already he's on Time Trouble? We're the heroes of this stupid thing!
How should that surprise you, Chip? Our creator is a 100% grade A moron.
I dunno, Wendy. I think he's a nice guy. I mean, he still remembers and cares about us. That counts for something, right?
That's sweet Artie, but let's be honest. Jon is a moron. As the smartest guy in this room, can we at least get a consensus on this?
He's pretty dumb.
Agreed.
Agreed.
Agreed.
**bound and gagged** MMMH!
Quiet Polaris.
AND NOW I SHALL RECITE MORE OF MY PUDDING POETRY - 2K10 EDITION! HOT SE-
NO!! NO MORE OUT OF YOU!!! GET OFF THE STAGE!!! GO AWAY!!! GO AWAY NOW!!!

Come back within a week or two. As for a teaser... ;)

Any more questions whether you read the old series or not, can be posted here. See ya later! :D
Dub
BumbleCreative

Re: Preview: What is "Chip and Walter"?

Postby Greliz » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:41 pm

Very -EXCIT----ED for this to come back!

I missed Wetbread oh so very much. :')

Now, will the rebooted comic continue using those glorious photoshop gradient backgrounds???? :D
Greliz
BumbleNewbie

Postby Dub » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Greliz wrote:Very -EXCIT----ED for this to come back!

I missed Wetbread oh so very much. :')

Now, will the rebooted comic continue using those glorious photoshop gradient backgrounds???? :D

You shut up and go hide in a corner somewhere. (hearty laughter)

Honestly, stuff like that is exactly why I took the original material down. New CNW as well as TT will be all black and white line art akin to the teaser image above. No color and (outside of cleaning up) no gad blasted Photoshop. **embarrassed** XD
Dub
BumbleCreative

Postby Culando » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:54 pm

You know what would really be an awesome thing for this comic? Putting Culando and Seggi in as cameos! *shot and stabbed violently*

No seriously, I am REALLY excited about this. Sadly I can't remember a huge amount of the story since it's been so long since I read it. All I remember is that Mr. Twister was awesome, and just the comic in general being epic. ;P
Culando
BumbleNewbie

Postby Rick » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:02 pm

Oh hey, what's this?

I'll be looking forward to it. Thank you for letting me know about it. :p
Rick
BumbleKnight

Postby Sockie » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:28 pm

Sadly, I never really got a chance to read the original CNW. However, I am looking forward to this very much! Definitely going to be a fun series, by the looks of things.
Sockie
BumbleNoble

Postby Nintenfreak » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:07 am

Sorta wondered what you'd been up to. Loving the psuedo Disney style, too.

Also, i love you man, in a totally platonic way. Maybe in the same way a cat loves a human, or a gorilla loves a chainsaw.
Nintenfreak
BumbleKnight

Postby Mustachio » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:42 am

Sounds good! I never read the originals but I'll be sure to check things out when you update.
Mustachio
BumbleClan

Postby Starcat5 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:47 am

Will there be an archive of the first run available at a later date? Will the Xellos reference remain in one form or another? Will the Breakfast Scene be shorter and less random this time? Will PiE remain our meme of choice?

...er, wait. This is the C&W thread, not the TT thread.

Ahem. Any chance of a "Robo Twister"? I'd explain myself more, but the fate of Mr Twister is a spoiler for the neophytes to the comic.
Starcat5
BumbleNewbie

Postby theJcfreak » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:56 am

Well, never got a chance to read the original C&W or TT so this will be fun for me. :D Though I'm also excited about this Project #2 you speak of...
theJcfreak
BumbleChosen

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:48 am

Whoops, late to the announcement party!

I am very pleased and proud that C&W and TT will the be the first actual BumbleKing Comics. It'll be nice to have content after five or so years :roll:
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Illustrious Q » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:29 am

I was actually hoping to get a couple of preview shots for Dubs interview. Well... that didn't actually happen due to Archie Comics booth basically falling part, long story and I didn't see it, while Dubs and I were shooting his interview. It was a little hectic at the Archie booth after that.
Illustrious Q
BumbleCult

Postby The KKM » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:35 am

Oh cmon Dubs, the photoshop gradients were half the fun of the comic XD

I remember good afternoons spent reading this, so glad to see it return.
The KKM
BumbleClan

Postby SonicBlueRanger » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:58 am

Never read CNW but when this comes out I definetly will read it.
SonicBlueRanger
BumbleChosen

Postby SamSal » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:54 am

Never got a chance to read the originals--really looking forward to this!
SamSal
BumbleNoble

Next

Return to Rubber Chickens & PiE