Chapter 1-1: Options

Forum dedicated to the ongoing, patron-driven series "Raiders of the Abyss"

Chapter 1-1: Options

Postby SamCyberCat » Fri May 01, 2015 3:31 am

At the end of Chapter 1-1 we're given three options about how the story might progress:

Option #1: Jamie decides to accept the Coalition of Planets’ offer.
Option #2: Jamie decides to accept the Empire of Se’zu’s offer.
Option #3: Jamie decides to conquer the other pirate gangs and claim the Belt.

So my question is, which of these options do you think you wanted to see become a reality based on what we've seen so far?

Personally I'm leaning more towards #2 right now. Mostly because the Empire of Se'zu feel like the characters who are the most unknown to the protagonists, which makes them feel more interesting to me. And while #3 could also be interesting for the same reason (that'd be my second choice), I think I'd rather the other pirate gangs stay as a wild card than become part of Jamie's team.

I'm not really as interested in #1 simply because it feels more like... I guess the usual sort of route? The Coalition of Planets being the "current power" as such, it just seems kind of default for the protagonists to side with them and I'd prefer to go in a different direction to that. And also the Coalition regards beings who aren't human as second-class citizens, so I automatically don't like them, whoops.

Honestly, at this early stage we don't know too much about any of these groups and I'm sure that the story will progress well regardless of which option we take, but my first reaction is that I want to go with #2 for the unknown factor.
SamCyberCat
BumbleCitizen

Re: Chapter 1-1: Options

Postby Sunwalker » Fri May 01, 2015 9:02 am

I am leaning towards option #3. I don't think that any of the two other groups are reliable. Once they have won the war, they might just decide that you had "outlived your usefulness" and hunt you down. I think that it would be better for the Raiders to either live or die by their own terms than to be second or third rate citizens at the hands of an oppressive regime, regardless if this regime is the Coalition or Se'Zu.

Maybe Se'Zu are painting themselves as the good guys just to get sympathy, and once they get the power they will be worse than the current regime.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Re: Chapter 1-1: Options

Postby SamCyberCat » Tue May 05, 2015 6:47 am

It's definitely valid to feel that both sides are... less than moral about all of this. Given that the Se'Zu have spent all these years secretly preparing for a war and are now threatening to start said war, they're not exactly the height of righteousness either. I guess I just feel more interested in them simply because they claim to be the result of being treated as second-class citizens. Their actions come from of oppression against them and even if that turns out to be not entirely true later on, I'm still more interested in them right now.

Having said that, I do completely agree that not siding with either one might well be the best answer. I'm sort of between options #2 and #3 for that reason.
SamCyberCat
BumbleCitizen

Return to Raiders of the Abyss