NEW PROJECT! Raiders of the Abyss!

Forum dedicated to the ongoing, patron-driven series "Raiders of the Abyss"

NEW PROJECT! Raiders of the Abyss!

Postby Ian Flynn » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:42 am

Since I know some of you stick to just one subforum, I'm boosting the signal!

"Raiders of the Abyss" has launched!

Thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8160
News: http://www.bumbleking.com

Go! Read! Enjoy!

(Please)
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Re: NEW PROJECT! Raiders of the Abyss!

Postby Betz! » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:55 am

Congrats on getting this up and running. Enjoy = Yes. Read = MOST DEFINITELY
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby Tango the Hedgehog » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:24 am

Great work, Ian! From what little I've already read, it looks amazing! :D
Tango the Hedgehog
BumbleFan

Postby Diablo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:21 pm

Ian, seriously, what the heck. How often do you bend the laws of space to get the time for Megaman, Sonic and now this. Colour me even more impressed than usual.
Diablo
BumbleNoble

Postby Sunwalker » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:26 am

The description of the project should have more details, people who come from outside this forum might get confused about what this is about.

I think that it should include a summary about what the story is about, at least a paragraph or two. The trailer says a little, but it is not on the Patreon page (it should be). You should look for Patreon pages of similar projects to get an idea of the presentation.

You also explain in which medium and place the story will be published. Some people might think it could be a comic, while it is a book chapter in a PDF file. And it is not immediately obvious that the first chapter is already on Patreon.

Now for a mini-review of the story. I found it to be an enjoyable read. You are good in describing the mood of the scene, the setting and characters' emotions. Special mention goes to the plaque with the names of the fallen raiders, it might looks like seemingly simple element, but it establishes that they are honor bound warriors with memory and respect for the previous generations.

The chapter was short, but it was enough to establish a different voice and personality for each one of the three characters that appeared directly. The way in which they decided who would be the leader made sense according to their personalities.

I would like to suggest that after some time you finish a story arc, you should publish this as a e-book. This after it has been published through Patreon, I mean. Self-publishing a book is very easy nowadays, specially in comparison with some years ago. I think that Amazon Kindle is the easiest option, but there is other options out there for self-publishing. Or you could try first to sell the story to a traditional publisher.

From what I had seen so far from the story, I think that it could work as a young adult novel.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:56 am

Sunwalker wrote:I would like to suggest that after some time you finish a story arc, you should publish this as a e-book.

That's definitely in the cards for the long-term. But I don't want to get too far ahead of myself - the second chapter hasn't been funded yet.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Sunwalker » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:09 pm

I forgot to suggest this earlier: maybe you could pin the announcement tweet, so it will always show up on the top of your Twitter feed. To do it, click on the three dots below the tweet and chose "pin to your profile page":

Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:50 pm

I figure I'll post it a few times throughout the week - keep it fresh.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby DoNotDelete » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:47 am

I'm not much of a reader of anything outside the graphic novel/illustrated medium so I find this kind of thing difficult to get into without supporting visuals. Do you not have any sketches or visuals of your characters?
DoNotDelete
BumbleCitizen

Postby SamCyberCat » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:47 am

DoNotDelete wrote:I'm not much of a reader of anything outside the graphic novel/illustrated medium so I find this kind of thing difficult to get into without supporting visuals. Do you not have any sketches or visuals of your characters?

And if you don't have any designs for the characters currently how do you feel about fans drawing them? :> *Hopeful eyes*
SamCyberCat
BumbleCitizen

Postby Ian Flynn » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:40 am

I don't have any visuals slated because I don't have the money to hire an artist. The price points are set off the results of the poll, and what I think is a moderately optimistic outlook in turnout. If it takes off and it gets more sustained support than I hoped for, then I can look into bringing in a visual element.

Fan artists are welcome to go wild with it. It'd be especially neat to see how others interpret the other races that'd be introduced next chapter. Just don't get upset if they don't jive with any official renditions down the line ;)
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby SamCyberCat » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:02 am

Ian Flynn wrote:Fan artists are welcome to go wild with it. It'd be especially neat to see how others interpret the other races that'd be introduced next chapter. Just don't get upset if they don't jive with any official renditions down the line ;)

Glad to hear! And it'd definitely be fun to draw some aliens, even if they don't end up looking like how any of the species officially look in the end.

Also, another question because I almost made a topic about this and stopped myself, since I wasn't sure what your stance would be on this - Would it be okay to make topics discussing the different options? Mostly along the lines of "I think ___ option would be an interesting direction because of whatever reason". Or would that count too much as trying to influence other people's votes? Because I'd understand if you'd rather we didn't for this reason.
SamCyberCat
BumbleCitizen

Postby Betz! » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:24 pm

SamCyberCat wrote:
Ian Flynn wrote:Fan artists are welcome to go wild with it. It'd be especially neat to see how others interpret the other races that'd be introduced next chapter. Just don't get upset if they don't jive with any official renditions down the line ;)

Glad to hear! And it'd definitely be fun to draw some aliens, even if they don't end up looking like how any of the species officially look in the end.

Also, another question because I almost made a topic about this and stopped myself, since I wasn't sure what your stance would be on this - Would it be okay to make topics discussing the different options? Mostly along the lines of "I think ___ option would be an interesting direction because of whatever reason". Or would that count too much as trying to influence other people's votes? Because I'd understand if you'd rather we didn't for this reason.

If I may ask, could I do chapter 1 and what would it take for you to hire someone to do the "official" art?
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:17 am

SamCyberCat wrote:Also, another question because I almost made a topic about this and stopped myself, since I wasn't sure what your stance would be on this - Would it be okay to make topics discussing the different options? Mostly along the lines of "I think ___ option would be an interesting direction because of whatever reason". Or would that count too much as trying to influence other people's votes? Because I'd understand if you'd rather we didn't for this reason.

You're welcome to make topics discussing the chapters and the options to move forward. I'd like to think discussion might inspire more folks to weigh in (and subscribe!)

Betz! wrote:If I may ask, could I do chapter 1 and what would it take for you to hire someone to do the "official" art?

I'd rather work with an artist I've got experience with IF I get to that point. Honestly, it's not something I've considered seriously at this point.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Betz! » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:21 am

Ian Flynn wrote:
Betz! wrote:If I may ask, could I do chapter 1 and what would it take for you to hire someone to do the "official" art?

I'd rather work with an artist I've got experience with IF I get to that point. Honestly, it's not something I've considered seriously at this point.

I vote Tracy.
Betz!
BumbleKnight

Return to Raiders of the Abyss