BKC Forum - Death Throes

Information Hub. MANDATORY READING WITHIN!
Rules, FAQs and More

Re: BKC Forum - Death Throes

Postby Ian Flynn » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Tango the Hedgehog wrote:
TheFatPanda wrote:I'm assuming the move has been finished now right?

Well, um...I just ran into that annoying "error" message again that sometimes comes up when you edit posts again.

Same here. I understand that the down-time was only to move the server, but will the smaller glitches such as this be eventually fixed? Probably not right away, but is there a possibility of things being sorted out later on?

The question is rapidly becoming "Can the forum be fixed?" and it's looking increasingly less likely.

I'm looking into it when I can, but for now, we'll have to limp along with what we've got.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Tango the Hedgehog » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:51 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:

Well, um...I just ran into that annoying "error" message again that sometimes comes up when you edit posts again.

Same here. I understand that the down-time was only to move the server, but will the smaller glitches such as this be eventually fixed? Probably not right away, but is there a possibility of things being sorted out later on?

The question is rapidly becoming "Can the forum be fixed?" and it's looking increasingly less likely.

I'm looking into it when I can, but for now, we'll have to limp along with what we've got.

That's fine. Thanks, Ian. I really appreciate all of the effort you've made to keep this forum running for all of us. Great work, and thank you again. :D
Tango the Hedgehog
BumbleFan

Postby NiTROACTiVE » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:25 pm

Ian Flynn wrote:

Didn't Lighty talk to you on how he could try to fix the forum? He made this post a page ago saying he had skills in some programing.
NiTROACTiVE
BumbleClan

Postby linebyline » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:21 am

Yeah, a few of us have offered suggestions. Thing is, none of us is really in a position to understand the problem. All we know is what Ian tells us, and between Ian not being a programmer or sysadmin and his not wanting to publish information that might be of some use* to people who want to do something naughty to the forum**, we don't have a lot to go on. Furthermore, Ian may not have the ability to distinguish between good advice, well-intentioned but flawed advice, and a social engineering attack by someone trying to trick him into destroying his own system. (And I'm not saying that a more technically-sophisticated user could necessarily tell the difference, either!)

*Yeah, I know, security through obscurity, but it is valid--even necessary--as a first line of defense. Sure, "assume the attacker knows the system" is security 101, but you still don't want to help the attacker know the system.

**And since Ian's kind of a public figure, and lots of people hold grudges against him (usually for stupid reasons), it's safe to assume that there are those who would want something bad to happen to BumbleKing, and of those, at least some probably have, if not the skills, at least access to the requisite script-kiddie tools to make it happen.

All considered, it might end up being best to go back to Ian's original plan of moving the old database to a read-only archive and starting over fresh. (Though I hope there's some way of importing the user database so we don't all have to re-register.)
linebyline
BumbleKnight

Postby Ian Flynn » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:50 pm

linebyline pretty much has it.

The biggest problem at this point isn't the datebase, it's the datebases. Over the years, after multiple serve moves, back-ups and upgrades, I've managed to create six databases related to the forum. Some are old back-ups that serve no purpose. Some have information that's shared between databases. And I don't know what is tangled into what.

I had hope that maybe I could clean up and fix one damaged database. That was before I realized the forums are a shambling, Frankestein-esque horror.

The plan remains largely the same: whatever happens, the info on this forum will be backed-up and made available. And I will do everything I can to retain user accounts and post counts. But there's going to have to be a whole lot of rebuilding from scratch.

I'll keep y'all posted.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby LBD_Nytetrayn » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:04 pm

So, nuke it from orbit, eh? I've heard worse plans.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
LBD_Nytetrayn
BumbleElite

Postby Scruffy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:39 pm

I'm trying to edit the Posts of Awesomeness thread and am getting the following error message whenever I click preview or submit (after a lengthy loading time):

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/2.2.16 (Debian) Server at http://www.bumbleking.com Port 80

I've tried about a half dozen times now with the same result. The post in question is the "T" list from the 2012 thread.
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby lalalei2001 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:20 pm

Hit the back button and click post, and it should work.
lalalei2001
BumbleNoble

Postby Scruffy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:43 am

lalalei2001 wrote:Hit the back button and click post, and it should work.

Tried that, multiple times. It's not the usual error we get for editing a post.
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby Ian Flynn » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:39 am

Scruffy wrote:
lalalei2001 wrote:Hit the back button and click post, and it should work.

Tried that, multiple times. It's not the usual error we get for editing a post.

It could be the size of the post + the state of the forum = borked. I really wish I had a better answer than that.
Ian Flynn
BumbleKing

Postby Scruffy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:53 pm

Yeah, that's probably it. It is one seriously long post.
Scruffy
BumbleClan

Postby Ryannumber1gamer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:55 pm

I need some help. I made a thread for the latest MM issue (44) and tried to add covers and solicts. When I first did it, it wouldn't let me copy and paste image links of the covers so when I then tried save the pictures and then add them in as a attachment and edit the pictures in, I keep getting hit with a error which says I can't access this file. Any clue how I can add the covers?

Edit: It seems despite getting a error, the pictures still went onto the thread.
Ryannumber1gamer
BumbleNoble

Postby Tcat » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:02 pm

I get the edit error post a lot (because I always find spelling errors or want to add something). Hitting refresh on the page fixes it and makes it go through for me.

Honestly the edit error is the only one I've ever come across.
Tcat
BumbleClan

Postby BlueBlur62391 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:59 am

Is it just happening to me, or do the rest of you have problems downloading attachment files?
BlueBlur62391
BumbleNoble

Postby Sunwalker » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:41 pm

BlueBlur62391 wrote:Is it just happening to me, or do the rest of you have problems downloading attachment files?

It is working for me.
Sunwalker
BumbleHonored

PreviousNext

Return to BumbleKnowledgebase